Chapter 2: Galveston Men Lie

I laid in bed the next morning feeling sore as fuck, my whole body ached me and I could barely lift myself up. Not only was my body hurting but I also didn't get much sleep. My father decided to wake me up at 6:00 AM to take a military shower (claiming my body odor was reeking up the whole house) and clean the whole downstairs. So, suffice to say, I was over being home and ready to head back to college.

I debated with myself for a few moments if attempting to get some more sleep would be a safe move, before trudging my legs out of bed. I knew that my crazy ass father would have a field day on me if he found me sleeping. I managed to make it downstairs to the kitchen after a painful 10-minute walk from my room. I was welcomed by the sweet smells of my moms thanksgiving dishes and her warm smile.

Good morning baby, thank you for cleaning up this house, you did a really good job! My mom said kissing me on my cheek.

I wanted to snitch on my dad, however, I quickly disregarded the very thought as I saw him seated at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. Instead I simply replied, Need coffee please.

My mom chuckled as she replied, Sure baby, what's the matter? Did you stay up all night watching tv and chatting with some girl?

I remained quiet as my eyes locked on my fathers head, who seemed more intrigued with what he was reading than to look at me directly.

After my mom furrowed her eyes at me my grimace at replied flatly, No just had a nightmare of a night.

What do you mean? She asked in concern as my father put down his newspaper finally.

Kyree, did I sleep with you last night, where are your manners? He asked sternly as my mom rubbed my back.

I wanted to respond no we did not sleep at all last night, instead your crazy ass had me in midnight boot camp! But I knew by doing so I would only get myself killed!

Sorry dad, I begrudgingly grumbled, Good morning.

Kyree I think theres more chores you can do in the basement. He said in calm but threatening tone.

Honey theres no need, none of our company will be going down to that old basement. Who on Earth would want to work out on Thanksgiving, thats just crazy! Besides, I would like nothing more than to spend this morning with my two favorite men in the kitchen with me. Its been so long My moms voice begun to trail off and as quick as a heartbeat, my father was hugging and kissing her deeply before her tears could fall. I was at least thankful for that. One of the saddest things for both my dad and I to see would be for my mother to cry. As my father hugged my mom, we locked eyes and each gave each other a look in silent agreement that we would keep peace. At least for today.

***

Mrs. Galveston you have outdid yourself as always! Sharon boasted as finished her third plate of food. I couldnt eat another bite.

Oh please, all you need is 5 minutes to rest I retorted having watched my best friend eat herself into a coma time and time again.

My reply was welcomed with a kick to my knee under the table.

Now you two cut it out, My mom warned but she was all smiles. My mom was also one of the many ridiculous people that wanted Sharon and I to be an item, and she found Sharon kicking me to be considered flirting.

I rubbed my knee as I limped away from the dining room with my plate and headed to the kitchen. My mom remained in the dining room talking with her sister and I spotted Shelly heading to the bathroom. I smiled as I thought about how today impacted my mom and wished that I had not been so preoccupied in my own thoughts and helped her host our family and friends a bit more. All day long, my mind only gravitated towards how I was going to isolate my father so I could ask him about my necklace. I couldnt recall how actively engaged I I had been all day in much of anything.