Chapter 22: Phoebe meets Cosmos-sama

Earth-chan, Moon-kun, and Phoebe sitting on Earth-chan's shoulder walked into the Administrative Office of the Nebulae. Earth-chan went up to Lady Orion's desk and asked:

"Orion-sama, is my dad free at the moment?"

"Ah, yes, Earth-san. I'll inform him about your arrival." Orion entered the principal's door.

"Wow, this office is so big..." Phoebe looked around in wonder.

"Heh, it's gigantic even for us, planets!" Moon chuckled, "No wonder it looks big to you."

"And it's not the whole Administrative Office. Through that door, there is the Black Hole Department," Earth-chan pointed on a black door to the left, "and there is papa's place." she pointed to the right.

"Wow... So, who's your papa?"

Just as Phoebe gave this question, Orion-sama walked out of that very door Earth-chan had pointed on and invited them in:

"Please, go in. Cosmos-sama is waiting for you."

"Cosmos? You mean the universe?!"

Phoebe's jaw dropped – Earth's father was the universe?!

No wonder there were no records of Earth's creation, then... But if her father is this so-called 'cosmos', then, what are these other people born from?

"Yup, Earth-chan's father is our principal, Cosmos-sama." Moon-kun smirked.

The friends walked into the principal's office. Phoebe shivered with excitement and anxiety – there was so much more to find out! This world was truly a mystery.

I wonder what Cosmos-sama looks like...

Moon-kun closed the door behind. Once Phoebe looked ahead, she was struck by the pure aura coming from the colossal man that stood before her at the end of the room. He appeared to be even bigger than any other planetary being she had yet seen. He had wise, expressive dark blue eyes shimmering with the whole mystery of the world they held within, while his pitch-black star-dusted hair fell onto his back and shoulders. He was dressed in a black suit and completely blackened clothes, truly resembling the colours of the pitch-black universe, for a human's eyes could never perceive its true colours.

 He was dressed in a black suit and completely blackened clothes, truly resembling the colours of the pitch-black universe, for a human's eyes could never perceive its true colours

That... is Cosmos?

Phoebe got frightened – he looked awry. It was no wonder why every planetary being respected him so much.

"Papa!" Earth-chan, however, greeted him quite casually and even waved a hand at him.

Dang, I guess Mother Earth is truly lucky, to be so casually speaking with such a man...

Phoebe stared at Earth-chan in surprise. She noticed Moon-kun watched her the same way. She guessed he must have the same thoughts as her.

"Earth? What is the reason for your visiting me so out of the blue?" Cosmos raised an eyebrow. His deep, strict voice struck the tiny Phoebe right through the bones.

"Come on! Is it so bad I want to see my papa?" Earth playfully sulked at first, but then smiled and approached him, "You've guessed – I am on important business."

Cosmos chuckled:

"Thought so... Well, what is it?"

"Papa, meet my new friend!" Earth grabbed the frightened Phoebe, put her onto her palm, and held her out to Cosmos-sama, "This is Phoebe, one of my humans!"

Phoebe cried out in fright and cuddled with Earth's palm once she got so up close to this awry gigantic man. Cosmos, on his part, widened his eyes in a clear stupor once caught the sight of her:

"A human? How come? How did she get here?"

"Do you remember when I told you about my meeting a human fifty years ago, Cosmos-sama?" Moon cut in, "This girl is his granddaughter. It appears that she has reached our world through her dreams. It took us long to figure out the whole situation, though – everything seemed so complicated..."

"Oh? So these tiny creatures are capable of such things?"

"It seems so."

Cosmos raised both of his eyebrows, impressed by such an extraordinary fact.

"Quite interesting... Phoebe is your name, you say?"

"Um, yes... Yes, sir."

Cosmos gave her a kind smile:

"Well then, Phoebe, welcome to Planetarium College."

Phoebe brightened up:

"Hehe, thanks! I'm truly so happy I got here!"

"Um, papa, we have another reason for coming, too." Earth-chan blushed.

"Oh? What is it?"

"Well, can you... can you authorize Phoebe to sing with me and Moon-kun in this year's Song Contest?"

"Huh?"

"Please, it'd be amazing to have a human perform in the Planetarium for the very first time! It would make our planetary community more tolerant towards them all and, towards me..."

Earth pressed a hand to her chest – even though her own class had already more or less accepted her, there was still a long way to go.

She felt a warm touch on the head. She glanced up at her father – he rubbed her hair with a kind smile.

"Sure. She can sing with you two if that is what she wants."

"Ah, thank you!"

"We're truly so grateful!" Moon sprang in joy.

"Hehe... Thank you for accepting me, Cosmos-sama!"

Phoebe bowed as a sign of gratitude and respect to the principal. This latter returned a beam:

"You're welcome."

"I have one question that I'm really curious about, however. So, if you wouldn't mind answering..."

"Hmm?" Cosmos raised both of his eyebrows, expressing his curiosity.

"Well, we humans have studied planetary systems a lot, but there is one thing we have no answer to. I hope it is not too personal for you or anything, but..." Phoebe began to twist her fingers in worry, not sure how to put her question into words. "Who was Earth-chan's mother?"

Earth-chan and Moon-kun flinched in stupor and fright. Cosmos instead furrowed his brow, making Phoebe shiver – damn, she had made him angry, just as she thought!