Chapter 1 - Writers Block

Alfur, a small elf boy who had almost no significance before he befriended a human, who had guided and aided him in his quest for paperwork, sat in a tent on a Tuesday morning, pondering what to pen on the parchment in front of him for his most recent report on the nature of creatures within the city. His mind was blocked with contradicting ideas and general indecisiveness. Hilda, the human whom he had befriended, spread the entrance to the tent and entered, with a small amount of curiosity. Alfur had been groaning for what seemed like half an hour now, and she was hoping she could help even a little bit...

"Hey Alfur, what are you reporting on? I heard you were having trouble."

She more or less assumed that was the case anyway, because of the annoyance that lingered in his eyes.

"I'm sorry I worried you Hilda, but I'm not sure how to start this report. I know a lot about creature behaviour in Trolberg, but I've never really seen much of it myself..."

It seemed like a problem she could help with, but when Hilda tried to speak, she could only stutter. Not even she had known much about the beasts in the city, other than the odd Vittra or rat.

"To be completely honest with you Alfur, I don't know either. I've only lived here for what seems like a month, and I haven't really managed to take much in while we were on our adventures."

Alas, she was no help. She returned downstairs once again to help her mum with her graphic design work. Alfur sighed with disappointment and went back to clicking his toothpick sized pen, wondering what he could possibly do to get it done before the next Monday coming... He would have even less time to complete it due to the simple fact that Elf Mail doesn't operate on weekends... He was ready to give up before he heard some noise vibrating through the window...

"R... Raven? Why are you here?"

He didn't hear Alfur because his tiny elf voice didn't manage to pierce the windows.

A muffled voice rumbled outside the house.

"Hey! Can somebody let me in? Some kids just tried to bludgeon me with a rock and I'm not very happy about it."

Hilda was downstairs when she heard the very distinct banging of a window and rushed upstairs to slide it open.

"Sorry Raven, what was that? You mentioned something about rocks."

He didn't seem very amused by the situation that he'd just been in, but he tried to keep a good mood.

"Some kids down at the park decided it would be fun to throw some rocks at me. Guess no one believed Trevor, huh?"

They both had a good chuckle.

Alfur, mustering up the courage to speak, finally came out the tent to say hello.

"Greetings, Raven! I heard you've been having some trouble."

He was troubled all the same, but tried to act as if he had no problems.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Nothing too bad... Except trauma."

There was an awkward silence in the room. No one really had anything to talk about, until Hilda remembered what Alfur mentioned earlier and brought it up. Alfur tried to stop her but unfortunately, she'd already gone ahead with it.

"Alfur mentioned he was having some issues on a report about the nature of creatures in the city. Do you mind helping him?"

Ravens face lit up, excited to help his small comrade, while Alfur was reluctant to act upon what she said.

"I'll be glad to help, Hilda! I know a lot about the various beasts and critters in the city, I'm sure I'll have some worth..."

With that, Hilda was called back downstairs for some lunch.

"You two have fun!"

The door slammed, leaving them alone to chat.