CHAPTER FORTY NINE

─ ♚ ─ 

  ─ ♚ ─ 

In the weeks that followed, Juliet Capulet could be found to be the most grateful human in all of Narnia. In her dreams, many times she could see herself holding the tiny baby boy she imagined having—one with Edmund's eyes and the Capulet hair. When she was awake she absolutely enjoyed talking about her coming child, or getting fitted for maternity dresses so she wouldn't feel so confined. She was happy; happier even than when she had realised she had been allowed love again.

Yet, every time she caught herself feeling much too happy, she found herself asking the air for the millionth time: what is the price; what is the catch?

She tried getting those answers from the High Protectors. She had stood in front of her mirror every afternoon, calling for them over and over again, and hoping one would show themselves the way they had done many times before. But no one had answered. She had prayed, she had knelt at the side of their bed or lain on it before sleeping and had asked God, Aslan, and every other deity she knew of to give her answers, but none had come.

She worried more and more each day regardless of the many times the physician told her that she should neither worry nor put too much stress on herself for the sake of the baby. And though she never told Edmund about her concerns, it was painfully clear that he knew.

Every single time he was around her he tried to comfort her, every time she prayed he held her hand, and once, even without much of a prompt or sign, he had held her, kissed her temple softly and said: "It was Aslan's doing, I'm sure of it." It'd been a statement that only served to prove how well her husband knew her, and though it had made her feel absolutely loved, sadly, it hadn't stop her from worrying.

It wasn't until after she had begun giving up on her investigation that the first of the coveted answers came. When, after many hours of suffering from a horrible backache due to her growing belly, Juliet decided to go lay down on her bed in hopes that it would relieve some of the discomfort. She instead found herself completely interrupted by a familiar call. One which, surprisingly, had taken her a few moments to realise had not been in her imagination. When she had, Juliet had sat up on the bed so swiftly that dizziness had forced her back down.

The call came again.

"Oh, nurse?" Juliet asked, frowning. "Nurse, is that you?"

"Aye, child, 'tis me... I cannot see you."

"A second, I beg," the girl requested, breathing slowly. After a few moments, Juliet finally sat up again—much more slowly this time—and got up to walk towards the mirror that had first made her aware of her pregnancy nearly a month before. "Oh, nurse," she repeated with relief once she saw the familiar figure in the glass; it didn't matter that she knew it was a High Protector only wearing her nurse's face nor that the two had parted poorly on their last encounter. Juliet felt comforted at once. "Whence hast thou been? I have called and called, wishing forth to see thee, and still I—"