CHAPTER FIFTY TWO

─ ♚ ─  

  ─ ♚ ─  

Edmund and Juliet's decision to be the ones to raise their son had caused a great uproar among the royals in the castle, but no one managed to stop either of them from getting their way. On the one hand, the nursery was made up in Juliet's chambers, but it was never used; a crib had been placed in Edmund and Juliet's bedroom so that both parents could be close to their child at all times. On the other, though the nurses and playmates were dismissed and given another role in the castle, the sitters were kept well in hand. They were also given another job in the castle for the sake of keeping them occupied—Edmund had meant it when he'd said he refused to use babysitters unless absolutely necessary—but they remained to the beck and call of the Just King and Queen.

Of course, out of the four monarchs, Susan was the one who disagreed the most with Edmund and Juliet's decision. She continued claiming and exclaiming in the name of what she thought was the right of the Narnian people. According to her, too many traditions had already been unfairly stepped on, spat on and trumped over, "And the people of Narnia deserve much better than to have their monarchs be the source of destruction of all the traditions in their world."

"I think you're exaggerating," Edmund said, holding his sleeping son and bouncing him lightly the way he had seen other mothers do. After all, the birth had been much too arduous on Juliet, and other than to feed the child and hold him once in a while, she didn't have much energy for much else even a week after giving birth. "We're not destroying traditions; we're just making them less... I dunno, inhumane?" Even Lucy and Peter, sitting on chairs unlike him, hadn't been able to argue against that. "Besides, we haven't done away with all traditions. Or do you forget the intense ceremonies Peter and I had to go through to get married, or how we basically forced a crown on Athena and Juliet?"

"Oh, so you'd do away with those traditions as well, then?!" Susan exclaimed, much to Edmund's dislike.

"No, I wouldn't, and keep your voice down; if not for me, then for Arthur." He fixed the blanket over his son's ears. "You're missing the point, Su. I don't want to change every tradition, only those traditions that make absolutely no sense."

"Or those that are perhaps outdated," Peter agreed, regardless of the little frown that had taken over his forehead. "I didn't exactly agree with Ed being kept away from Juliet's side during the delivery. I didn't say anything at the time for the sake of keeping a united front between us, but... well, Ed was right. If Athena was the one giving birth, I'd want nothing more than to be by her side during it."

"Well, I, for one, don't agree." Susan dictated, standing up. She meant to walk away from the conversation, but Lucy proved to be much faster. Before Susan could even reach the door, Lucy stood between her and the only exit. "Move away, Lucy."

"Not until we all agree to not show any disagreement outside of these doors."

"Lucy, I mean it."