Carrot

Loud voices echoed in the corridor as people returned from their lunch break, talking about the weather and news; women giggling while sharing the latest gossip. Slowly walking to their departments, they tried to prolong the break as much as possible. A small group split off and hurried to the door at the end of the hallway labelled 21. They entered, merrily chatting and barley noticing the dark figure in the corner of the office.

Alexander Reid didn't enjoy the same things his colleagues did. He rarely went out on breaks and rarely spoke to his co-workers. But he was respected, and that's all Alexander could ask for. He always put his job above everything and after a lot of hard work he made it as the head of the department 21. Nothing was done or sent out of this room until it was approved by him. He considered himself strict but fair. The whole company would suffer if they made a mistake, as he tended to remind his co-workers.

Room 21 was smaller than most, having only five desks which were equipped with computers. They were a branch of accounting and it was their job to make sure all numbers were adding up and all debts were settled.

The people who worked here were: Alexander himself, who occupied the desk in the back corner nearest the window; his friend form college Dean Martin, whose desk was closest to his; Ann Price, a beautiful but naive blonde hired only a few weeks ago; Vera Hall, a small and quiet raven haired woman who took Ann under her wing; and Molly Walker, the oldest of them five but she didn't let it show- her bright eyes always sparkling warmly and her dyed brown hair tied in a neat bun.

As they walked in, Alexander raised his gaze from his columns. The girls were all hurdled together, whispering and giggling excitedly.

Dean sluggishly made his way to his desk, lazily slumping down in his chair. Handing him a bunch of documents, Alexander noticed the distinct smell of tobacco on him.

"Thanks" Dean muttered, quickly glancing over them.

"What's that all about?" Alexander asked quietly so that the girls wouldn't hear him. Dean's chestnut eyes quickly glanced at them before turning to Alexander again.

"You would know if you got out of the office once in a while. Do you know what people from other departments call you?" Without waiting for a response he answered his own question: "21's Shadow."

"As if I care." Alexander said nonchalantly.

"All I'm saying is you should socialize more." Dean continued his criticism, dropping the papers on his desk. This time he waited for Alexander to answer but continued with a sigh when he didn't "There is a new guy in sales."

The corner of Alexander's lips curved into a sneer and he returned to his columns. This isn't the first time, happens whenever someone new is hired. Everyone goes nuts for a day, talking and gossiping but it quickly dies down.

After marking the last inconsistency in red, Alexander saved the document and sent it to computer 2, which belonged to Ann.

"Miss Price." He called out, getting up and tapping the documents on the table to even them out.

"Yes!" the blonde woman flinched, spinning in her seat to look at him. Alexander thought his voice may have sounded too rough, so he tried to continue in a milder tone.

"The tax percentage is wrong, again." He sounded still too rough, seeing as the woman looked petrified. "I've sent the files back to you. Fix it."

"Y-Yes sir!" Ann squealed turning back to her computer as Alexander passed her with the documents now in his briefcase.

"I'm going up to management. I want it done by the time I'm back, we're already behind as it is."