Simple Man

In a blink of an eye it was already New Year's Day. The excitement was apparent on the streets as people rushed to do some last minute shopping. Light snow that was gently falling made the scenery out the window, despite everything, look peaceful.

Alexander hated it. He hated the joy in the voices of people and the occasional explosion of fireworks that pounded in his head like hammers. But most of all, he hated the miserable excuse of a human being that was looking back at him from the mirror.

Alexander felt drained, unable to even get out of bed. His hands and legs were weighing him down as if they were made out of sand. The pain in his heart had returned, now stronger than ever. They were supposed to be at a luxurious hotel right about now, enjoying a hot cup of morning coffee. Alexander thought he had it all figured out, thought she was the one. They were supposed to be together forever. They were happy and yet she left without a word. Only then did he realize it all meant nothing to her.

Alexander spent weeks trying to lock away his feelings. He threw out almost everything that reminded him of the past but it made his world empty and colorless. Still, every now and again those memories would come flooding back, making him unable to breathe. It was like he was drowning. Minutes would turn into hours and he knew the hours could turn into days.

The phone sounded off for the hundredth time today. Alexander closed his eyes, unable to look at his reflection anymore and waited for the ringing to stop. It took longer this time but at last silence surrounded him. Alexander drifted off into sleep once more. Just as he began dreaming of a cold room and a misty voice, the ringing woke him up again. The cycle continued until Alexander felt something beginning to boil inside him. He wanted to scream and throw the stupid phone across the room. Yanking off the covers he stormed to the table in the corner, staring at the phone in spite and reading the words on the screen. 'Carrot'. If he was actually in front of him, there's no telling what Alexander might have done. Forcefully pressing the green answer button he lifted it up to his ear.

"Yes?" he snarled, his other hand clenched in a fist.

"Sasha?" an almost surprised voice called out from the other side. "You finally picked up!"

Alexander stayed quiet, fighting the anger inside him. What sane person would blow up his phone tirelessly if he wasn't picking up?

"Are you all right? I called you a number of times.."

"I know." Alexander muttered coldly. "What do you want?"

"Ah, well.." Uriele's voice drifted off and Alexander was losing his patience.

"Spit it out." He said through gritted teeth. There was a short pause before a deep breath and:

"ImsorryforbotheringyoubutIdidntknowwhoesletocallandyouaretheonly-"

"Slow down.." Alexander tried to stop Carrot's incomprehensible blabbering but he just went on in a single breath

"-onethatcouldhelpmeIknowyouwarnedmebutIjustkeptputtingitoffand.."

"STOP!" Alexander yelled, running his fingers through his messy hair. This time he listened. "My head already hurts and your nonsense isn't helping."

"I'm sorry." Carrot said timidly. Silence followed and Alexander felt his stomach tying into a knot as he realized he yelled at Carrot again for no real reason.

"Take it easy." He sighed. He wanted to apologize, but words betrayed him. "I can't follow you. Just- say it slowly."

"Okay, listen." Carrot's shrill voice began again after an uncomfortable pause. "I know you warned me, and I know I had more than enough time to finish it. But I am an idiot, I know, and-"