Leap of Faith

New Year's excitement got extinguished faster than it began. Snow had finally stopped, and people were getting back into their daily routines.

Everyone seemed slow and sluggish, as if waking up from a long dream. Even Alexander, which was unusual for him. His limbs felt heavy, his mind unfocused and often wandering, his sleep schedule a mess. And it seems that was something he shared with the others from the department 21.

Vera Hall immediately collapsed at her desk as she came in to work. She had terrible bangs under her eyes and her dark silky hair put up in a messy bun. Mrs Walker on the other hand always looked elegant but she talked far less than usual. Ann Price was the only one with the energy to smile in the morning, but even she seemed sullen. Dean Martin had been late to work for the whole two weeks since they got back, which irked Alexander to no end. He would only be late a few minutes so Alexander couldn't exactly tell him off, but he tried to punish him by giving him more work. Loads more. Yet, every time he'd manage to finish everything and be the first one to leave. How exactly he managed to do that was beyond Alexander.

Even Carrot visited less. He seemed to have finally started taking his job seriously and stayed at his department during work hours. Still, somehow it felt empty without him around.

Alexander would only see him once, maybe twice a day at most. Those moments were usually brief, but they still made Alexander's heart restless. Especially since Carrot stared wearing the tie he got him.

It's been a bit awkward between them. Alexander didn't know how to approach or talk to him, but Carrot on the other hand didn't seem to have that problem. He would give him a cheerful smile across the room or a small wave. When he did visit department 21 he would make sure to stay close to Alexander. At first he didn't mind it as much, but in the last few days he's become bolder.

If Carrot caught him in the hallway he'd stand just a bit too close while they walked; or if they were talking he would pat Alexander's back, leaving his hand there longer than he should; or run his fingers down to Alexander's hand...

Alexander worried these little gestures wouldn't go unnoticed by others. But most of all, he worried about the elevators. Because if they happened to be alone in there, Uriele would actually attempt to hold Alexander's hand which he strongly protested.

Carrot would just laugh it off, saying that Alexander worries too much and that there are no cameras. But that wasn't the problem. IF they were to be seen.. he didn't even want to think about it. Not only are they coworkers, but also men. And Alexander knew firsthand how cruel and unforgiving people can be. What unnerved him even more was that Carrot had already told someone about them, at least to some degree. He knows form the conversation he overhead before that it is a woman, but he was so flustered then he didn't actually pay attention to who the voice belonged.

On Friday Alexander had a perfect opportunity to ask yet something in his throat didn't let him speak. He came in earlier as usual but didn't find the office empty this time. He was greeted with a lazy wave from Uriele who was slumping in Dean's chair, casually drinking coffee from a paper cup. Alexander was taken back at first, strange nervousness brewing in his stomach. As he approached his desk, he saw another cup by his computer.

"Black, no sugar. Right?" a shrill, tired voice broke the silence.

Alexander just nodded, taking off his dark coat. "How much was it?"

"Don't worry about it." Carrot waved his hand dismissively. "My treat."

"Thank you." Sitting down, Alexander tried to hide his smile behind the monitor. Such a small and simple gesture, yet it easily brightened this grey monotone morning. "You're here early."