Chapter 3

After a few seconds, JJ pulled away, sure that she was making Emily feel extremely uncomfortable. She looked at her friend and saw that she was totally bewildered, but before Emily could form any sort of verbal reaction to what had just happened, JJ looked at her meaningfully, hoping that Emily would catch on and follow JJ's lead in this little charade.

"Hi honey," JJ smiled sweetly, "I was just telling Will here about us. How long has it been that we've been together?" She asked, desperately hoping that Emily would realize what was happening here and play along.

"I think it will be 5 months next week." Emily replied and put her arm around JJ in a loving manner. JJ breathed a huge sigh of relief when she realized Emily was able to figure out what was going on and decided to help her out. She rested her head on Emily's shoulder and turned to Will.

"So now you know the truth." She told him. "I'm sorry I kept this from you." She pretend-apologized. "I should have told you from the beginning, so you wouldn't waste your time. I hope you can forgive me." She finished and looked at Will with pleading eyes.

"So you two really are... a couple?" Will looked at the two females still a little shocked at what he was seeing. "Wow." He said, more to himself than to the two of them.

"And a happy couple I might add." Emily beamed and placed a soft kiss on JJ's cheek. The sensation that the simple cheek kiss sent to JJ almost scared the blonde agent. But at least she was getting rid of Will.

"And your boss is OK with that?" Will inquired, trying to wrap his head around the revelation.

"Well, he wasn't thrilled at the beginning." JJ explained, "But when we proved that our relationship doesn't affect our work, they decided to cut us some slack."

"Wow." Will repeated and kept staring at Emily and JJ. Finally, he decided that he simply couldn't take this anymore. "I think I need some fresh air." He excused himself and left the conference room. JJ sighed with relief as she heard the door close behind Will, but when she turned to face Emily, she could see in Emily's eyes that this was far from over.

"What the hell was that?" Emily looked at JJ with an expression that clearly said that Emily realized JJ apparently had gone crazy.

"I am so sorry, Em." She started to explain herself, her eyes begging Emily to forgive her, "I just didn't know what else to tell him."

"So you told him that we're dating? What in the world possessed you to do that? Couldn't you just tell him that there is another guy in your life and leave it at that? I'm sure he would have let up then." Emily definitely did not understand JJ's need for this little charade.

"I don't know, maybe I could have." JJ admitted and kept looking at Emily as if trying to say 'please please forgive me', "But for some reason I felt like telling him I was gay was safer."

"So why did you even have to tell him we're dating? Don't you think telling a guy you're gay would be reason enough for him to let it go?"

JJ knew Emily was asking some very valid questions and she herself didn't completely comprehend why she did what she did. "I don't know, Em." She started explaining again, "I just told him that I was gay and then I mentioned that I was seeing someone and then you walked in and before I knew it, I was kissing you. I'm so sorry, Em. I really really am sorry. I just freaked out, because he wouldn't leave me alone and I didn't know what to do and I thought..."

"Okay, okay okay..." Emily placed her hands on JJ's shoulders and looked at her sympathetically, "Just breathe, okay? Just please take a breath." She begged and JJ started laughing as she realized that she indeed was a little oxygen deprived after her attempted apology. She took a deep breath and once again looked at Emily trying to ask her for forgiveness.

"So are we cool, or do I have to bring you coffee for a month or something?" JJ asked with a smirk, without having the slightest idea of the effect her smile had on the older agent. Emily knew there was no way she could ever be mad at JJ, not when her lips were curled in a beautiful smile and there were those sparks in JJ's eyes that she loved so much.

"We're cool, we're cool." Emily smiled gently to make sure JJ knew everything was okay, "I would just appreciate some kind of warning the next time you decide to sexually harass me." She added laughing and noticed the weird expression on JJ's face.

"The next time?" JJ asked looking at Emily suggestively.

"Oh you know what I mean." Emily decided to brush it off, but she couldn't help feeling that she certainly wouldn't mind if there was a next time. Except that there was no way anything like this was going to happen again, so there was no point in hoping or even thinking about it at all.

"Yeah, I know." JJ agreed and it only convinced Emily even more that she had to forget about the whole thing as soon as possible. She did a good thing helping JJ get rid of Will and that was that and there was no reason to read anything more into it. It was just JJ in the state of panic and now everything was going to go back to normal. After all, it's not like it was a real kiss or anything.

"Aren't you afraid Will is going to mention something to the team?" It suddenly dawned on Emily that the whole charade may not be as over as they would like it to be. "I mean what do we do then?"

"Don't worry, somehow I think that Will is too shocked to talk to anyone about what we told him." JJ reassured her colleague, but truth be told, she wasn't so sure of what she was saying either. She was hoping, though, that Will indeed would not breathe a word about her and Emily's "relationship" to anyone.

"I hope you're right." Emily seemed a little worried. "Unless you really do wanna celebrate our 5-month anniversary next month?" She laughed and JJ couldn't help but smile back at her.

"As much fun as I'm sure that would be, we wouldn't want to subject the team to anymore additional stress, now would we?" JJ asked grinning and Emily could swear JJ was flirting with her. Or maybe it was just wishful thinking on her part, she could no longer tell.

"I guess not." Emily agreed and decided to change the subject. After all, they were here on a case. "So, how did the media circus go?"

"I've had better days." JJ sighed. "But I'll be fine. I just feel strangely tired, that's all. I need a good night sleep."

"You'll get it soon enough." Emily smiled. "But not until we figure out what we have been able to learn about the unsub today. Everybody should be here any minute." Emily pointed out and the two of them took their seats to wait for the others to arrive before they could go back to work.