Chapter 40: Together from afar

A/N: So, I know Zephyr is the oldest and Nuffink is the youngest, but in the previous chapter? I wanted them both to be twins, so they're both five years old in this final chapter and basically, this whole franchise of the Dragon Master is Astrid telling the children about Berks past, its wars with dragons, Drago, Grimmel and the Cabal, and how Hiccup became the most famous Viking of their world. Not gonna lie to y'all, this final chapter will bring tears to you. But anyway, sit back and enjoy the final chapter of the Dragon Master franchise.

(New Berk, five years after the war with the Cabal— Astrid's pov)

"And thats the story of the Dragon Master, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III. Your very heroic and famous father."

My children— Zephyr and Nuffink's were born the same day I conceived them and they were twins. I was far too familiar with giving birth, only, Hiccup wasn't by my side see just how beautiful our son and daughter turned out to be.

Zephyr had light auburn hair, similar to her grandfathers, she had ocean blue eyes like me, she's is very playful and full of energy. She also has her father's nervous personality, and carrying notebooks around with her like Hiccup had when he was a boy. Zephyr's outfit and hairstyle are very similar to what I wore when I was her age. Her light brownish-auburn hair is pulled into two banded pigtails under a studded kransen. She wears a sleeveless tunic in a grayish or dark blue or green color, a large red sash, a reddish brown leather skirt with blunt metal studs. She also wears olive green cloth bracers with fur cuffs on her forearms, sets of leather bands around her biceps, green beaded shoulder pads, and a small green pouch on her belt similar to mine. She wears a small red bag over her shoulder that has a print of a Night Fury's head on it.

Nuffink is so much like Hiccup, my son has a thin, lanky body and sand-like shaggy hair similar to Hiccup when he was a boy. He has Hiccup's forest green eyes, and light blonde hair which he got from me. Like Hiccup, he has a few small braids in the back of his hair. He wears a light tan long-sleeved shirt with a decorative lining on the end of his sleeve. He also wears a necklace that is set with three sharp teeth, from wolves. He also wears a belt with a buckle shaped like a Night Fury's head, curtsey of Gobber, who crafted that just for him, like me, my son has an adventurous and turbulent personality.

Both their eyes went wide and mouths gaped open as I had told them of how Hiccup and I made met, how we fell in love, the three hundred year war with  dragons, how the former Outcast and Berserker alliance enslaved the Red Death, how I trained my first dragon in the form of Shade, the war with Drago, Grimmel, the Cabal, the dragons returning to the wild and... how Hiccup gave his life to ensure Toothless could live in safety and live free in the Hidden World.

Both my children glanced at each other before turning back to me and my daughter spoke up. "So... our father was the first man in Midgard to ride a dragon?" I chuckled lightly and shook my head. "Actually your grandmother Valka was the first dragon rider of our world, your father was the second."

Turning to Nuffink, I could see... sadness in his eyes, I gently cupped his cheek and smile lightly at him. "What's wrong son?" I ask, he sniffles lightly and stammers out. "A-Are... you going to get us a new Dad?" My eyes widened at his question, its no secret since Hiccup's death that many Viking earls, jarls and kings have proposed alliances through marriage to me, but I... I just couldn't. So I respectfully declined their marriage proposals because I never really got over Hiccup's death. There were nights where sleep evaded me due to nightmares and how I lost the love of my life. So when that happened? Valka would have to take over running the village with Gobber's help because I'd be out cold.

"Yeah Mom, will you ever get us a new Daddy?" Zephyr asked as well, pulling both my five year olds into my lap, they sat on each of my knees and I kissed their foreheads and shook my head at their questions. "I don't want another." I confessed, closing my eyes, I sigh heavily and turn to each of my children. "Your father? He was the only man for me. He was the love of my life, my soulmate. Nobody could ever replace him."