[11] Sugar and Spice

Please VOTE if you enjoy this!

[11] Sugar and Spice

The first time Mia noticed that Samantha and Samuel had a particular taste for very spicy things, she gawked in absolute horror, terrorized as each sibling took a bite of a particularly dark jalapeno. So hot its very smell reeked across the table and rose up Mia's nostrils, causing her to cough with the severity of its spice. And to think, they were leaving no portion uneaten—seeds and all consumed as though it were some kind of delicious treat. Yuck.

Of all the foods she was open to trying, anything spicy related was immediately excluded. She couldn't stand the heat in her tongue, the burn as it went down her throat. Freakin' Jamaicans man, she should have known this restaurant would specialize in many things spicy. No wonder Sammie and Saurus loved coming here. They were one of the few places that offered this 'exquisite' jalapeno.

Samuel muttered something that sounded suspiciously like 'pussy', but Sammie's enthusiastic voice quickly covered it. "It has a ton of vitamin C! My skin will be glowing!" Sammie took another bite before mixing it with plantains and beef jerky. Meanwhile Mia munched on her patty, blinking the tears away from her eyes.

Then—to make matters ever so weird—once they finished dining at the restaurant Saurus drove them to some specialty drink place. There the siblings ordered some ridiculously tall drink that tasted like straight up diabetes in a cup. It was worse than soda, what the heck was wrong with their tastebuds?! So not only did they appreciate spicy things, but now they had an affinity for overbearingly sweet things too.

She could do nothing but shake her head once they reached the packhouse. Without a doubt, she would not be eating out with these two ever again.

 Without a doubt, she would not be eating out with these two ever again

Present

The door of the study slammed against the wall, causing impacted shelves to tremble with apprehension as a figure several inches shorter stepped inside. She held a coffee cup calmly. It was black, three shades darker than her own skin color, but just as bitter as she was feeling inside.

The fireplace roared to life, it welcomed her in by shining brighter than it had moments ago. As much as she hated to admit it, Mia sure missed coming to this place to do her homework. And this, couple with the favor she was about to ask dear sweet Samuel forced her bitterness to the far recess of her mind in order to be... nice. At least, as nice as one could be given the circumstances.

"Hey reptile." She chirped, dropping her bag at her usual table.

Samuel groaned. "Goodbye peace. It was fun while you lasted," he muttered to himself, not bothering to return her greeting.

But Mia expected as much. One by one she pulled things out of her bag—laptop, headphones, notebook, pen. The usuals. After organizing them in perfect arrangement she took one more sip of her coffee before skipping her way to Saurus' desk.