Chapter 29

Half a year has passed, yet I still haven't informed Eren of my knowledge of him being short on cash. In order to help him a bit more with cash, I not only work in retail, but I also work at a fast food restaurant. This time around, it had been me that would end our conversations early either because I had a shift, or I had to study for pre-finals. I could sense his heartache whenever I'd say the words, "I have to go now" but I can't help it. I mean.. I'm just trying to help.
I'd sneakily send Eren money anonymously, telling him to use it for good use. I'd get an hourly pay and I'd keep some for myself for groceries and whatnot. I had told Nifa about my dilemma and she tried offering me money, but I wouldn't accept because I couldn't just take her money like that. It's my responsibility, not her's.

As I was preparing for my shift and putting my hair up for my job, Nifa walked into my room.
"Mikasa?" She asked.
"Yeah?"
"Are you going to work?" She asked.
"Yeah." I nodded whilst finally tying my long black hair up.
"Oh.." she sighed. She stepped into my room fully then and held out some prepared food. "Here!"
I looked at her, confused. "What's that?"
"I made you some food. You won't accept my money, but at least eat this for lunch."
I sighed, but feeling too tired and too ravenous to refuse, I just weakly obliged and took the food that she gave me. I never really ate lunch, so this would be a first.

"You didn't really have to do this." I breathed.
"It's the least that I could do." She smiled.
I smiled back. "Thank you."
A couple minutes later, I arrived at the job that I'd be working at first today, the fast food restaurant. I walked into the work area through the door with the letters  "employees only" on the front, dismissing casual customers' access inside. I set my bag in the little locker that I could use and set the packed food beside it. I put on my hat and went to the front and went in front of the cash register and began taking orders.

The day passed like any other day at first, I took orders and handed out food. But soon enough, it was my lunch break. I took out the food and my phone and sat on a little bench next to the wall. I turned my phone on and finally opened the food container that Nifa had given me and I was immediately surprised.
Inside was an avocado salad with small sliders and a mix berry smoothie. I gasped. 'When did she  have time to make this?' After a couple of seconds of admiring the meal, I decided to eat it and not waste my break. As I was eating the sliders and was scrolling through a social media app, someone sat beside me. I looked up and saw a male sitting beside me. I sighed.

"Hello.. Floch." I sighed.

I wasn't too satisfied with Floch, mainly because he was kind of narcissistic. He was pretty self-absorbed, always thinking really highly of himself because he almost got accepted into my private college. Almost! I didn't appreciate his attention mostly because he reminded me of Marlo. He didn't even tried to cover himself up when he'd be observing me. I mean, he'd openly check out my ass and ever joke about have sex with me. It upsets me majorly.

"So.. babe." He smirked.
"Jesus fucking Christ Floch! I told you that I have a boyfriend!" I growled.
"So? It's alright babe, he's miles and miles away."
He scooted closer to me and placed his hand on my inner thigh. He slowly guided his hand to my groin, to which I responded with by violently pushing him away. He only winked at me. Feeling harassed, I took my lunch and went to a populated bench and ate my lunch there.
And that's my coworker, Floch. I've reported him before, but since his dad is the manager, Floch still works here. I'll only be working here for a couple more months though. Then, I'll graduate and go home. But until then, I have to deal with that asshole.

Once my shift there ended and my shift at retail ended, I went home, took a shower, and decided to call up Eren. As I sat on Nifa's and my tiny version of a dining table and ate some leftover salad from my lunch, the screen began loading. After a while, Eren picked up on the face time. I could see him in his office, writing something down.

"Hi babe." I greeted him, cheerfully.
"Hi Mika."
"What are you doing?"
"Just writing some stuff down, doing some calculations."
"Ah, I see."
A couple moments passed and I was just eating while Eren continued writing his business down. Finally, he groaned in frustration and threw himself back in his chair.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
"I uhh.. have something to tell you." He disappointedly proclaimed.
"Yeah?"
"I uh.. hate taking away your dream of attending Shingeki. But I might not be able to pay for your last year there."

I sighed, I expected this. "Yeah.. I know."

"What?! How?!"
"Annie.. kinda told me. But don't worry! I'm not mad! I've actually been sending you money anonymously." I said, sighing from the relief from finally taking this weight off my shoulders.
"W-wait, that was you?" He lowly asked me.
I silently nodded.
"How have you getting this money?" He asked, eager to hear my answer.
"I've been working at some part-time jobs."
He sighed in relief. "Thank god." I heard him mumble.
"Wait, what are thinking? What did you think that I did for money?" I begrudgingly asked.
"I-It's nothing." He quickly said. "Anyways, even with the money that you've given me, it's still not enough." He successfully changed the subject.
"Damn." I sighed.

I stood up and placed my dish in the sink. "How much do you need?" I asked.
"About $2,050 more bucks by three months from now. And with EA being kind of sketchy with their paycheck, I'm not sure if I'll make the last due date." He shrugged. "God, I've messed up." He groaned.
"No, you haven't messed up. It's my fault for wanting to go to this stupid college." I groaned as I sat back down.
"Don't say that Mika. I'd do anything for you, you're not at fault. I'd love you, no matter what."

My expression softened. 'What have I done to deserve such kindness?'

"Ya know what, since this money issue is technically my fault, I'll just starting working more." I declared.
"Mika, don't do that. I don't want you to overwork yourself." Eren kindly said.
"No, Eren. This my responsibility too. Just leave the money issue up to me. M'kay?" I said
"Wait!" I heard Eren cry before I hung up. I sighed and placed my hands on my forehead. I stood up and leaned over the table. 'I've probably put him through so much pointless stress because of the money issue.' I thought. 'I need to make money, fast!'
I took my phone out and decided to call my retail job and ask for any extra shifts, but they didn't have any available for me. So, I called the fast food area, but they didn't either. Feeling defeated, I just sat down in the living room and re-watched one of my old favorite Korean dramas called "Hello, My Twenties".

While I was watching the aforementioned show, an idea popped up into my mind while watching one of my favorite characters play her role. She was a prostitute and that brought up old, disturbing memories, but also an idea. I hated it at first, but then I figured that it might solve my problems. Well, at least one of my problems.

'I hate the thought of doing such a thing to Eren, but what he doesn't know can't hurt him... right?'

Reluctantly, I took my phone off of the coffee table and went to my hidden apps. I opened up an app that I haven't used in years, and was hoping to never use again, yet here I am. I logged back into my account the app and the letters in the title of the app flew across my screen and thanked me for reopening up my account. The app was Secret Fun. I set the settings very high, as well as my price level, making sure that I wouldn't leave empty handed. Then, I set my phone back down and just stared at it, eager for a response.

Feeling guilty already, I immediately turned my phone back on and went to the app. My finger hovered over the "delete account" button. I swallowed hard, but pressed it. Then as the little message of "are you positive about deleting your account?" popped up on my screen, I got a text message on the app. Feeling a little curious, I checked out the message before deleting the account and read it.

Anonymous
So, you're back?

You

Who is this?

Anonymous
Guess.

You
Just tell me!

Anonymous
Alright, alright. It's me, Marlo.

My heart sank. 'M-Marlo? W-wait.. this cannot be happening right now!'