5

Molly

He's been the perfect gent. I haven't felt this way in so long it's frightening to think that someone else can make me feel as good as Elvis did. Our non date seems to have turned into a real first date because he even bought me flowers on the way here.

"I'm not the hearts and flowers kind of girl" I declared, once again Molly the gobshite escapes from her box.

"You just haven't met the right guy then" he replied with a sweet smile and those words sting but it's not his fault that the right guy got blown off a roof in Afghan.

My head is doing battle with my heart one telling the other I really don't wanna be here and the other fighting that I do.

Jackie keeps telling me to live my life and I know she's right. But what if wherever that big Italian dickhead is, that big Italian dickhead who I loved so bloody much, well what if I'm making him unhappy? I push away those thoughts when I notice his brow furrowed as he looks while I'm off with the Elvis shapes fairies. It's not fair to him.

He's brought me to the fanciest place he could find even though I absolutely do not like dinner for a first non date but once I realised he was hungry and probably hadn't felt like cooking due to his leg I agreed that we could get something to eat. Just so I knew he had. See there's that urge to look after him again.

"Fish and chips will do me"

And he laughs "Oh no way Dawesy. If I'm taking you out it's going to be special"

"Do you wine and dine all your mates then?"

I've wounded him and this time he lets me know it when he holds his chest as if I've shot him in the heart and mock pouts with those puppy dog eyes.

"Only the one friend"

And there's that smile again that I can't resist and I feel my cheeks aching from smiling back at him.

-OG-

Charles

This is the first "date" I've been on since before I was married and she's doing everything she can to convince me (or herself) that it is the complete opposite even though we're both dressed up to the nines and nervous beyond belief.

One thing I have learnt to appreciate about Molly already is that she has little need for extravagant things. Not that I wouldn't give them to her, I would give her the world but she doesn't need them. Her jaw nearly hit the floor at the price of a glass of champagne but I had to right the fact she had never tried it. She was happy with her vodka and coke and that itself speaks volumes when she's in comparison to Rebecca who would have needed a bottle or 2 just to be in my company towards the end of our relationship.

She insists on buying a round as much as I never dreamed of letting her put her hand in her pocket but it seemed important to her. Like she felt she had something to prove so I oblige. One round is all she would be allowed to buy and she treated herself to another glass of champagne and for the first time since I've know her she seems carefree and dare I say it.. she seems happy. I hope I'm the reason.

We make the fatal mistake of going for the bottle next, equal bad influences on each other and I realise I have not laughed this much in years.

She really is beautiful. I love the way she tucks and untucks hair behind her ear when she's feeling a little shy and I've made her blush. And those eyes... those eyes have a story to tell but she's not quite ready yet. 

"Are you okay?" I suspect she may have had a little too much to drink and encourage her to sip some water but she dismisses me knocking back another.