Chapter 27

Rose

23/01/2033

I zipped up my suitcase, my heart in my throat. I didn't want to leave, I'd gotten along with Noah but I didn't want to leave my family. My door was thrown open and mom and dad hobbled in. Dad had recovered quite well but still had a cast on his leg which resulted in quite a dramatic limp. Mom's movements were stiff as if too much movement caused her pain which is fair given all of the internal bleeding caused by the crash and she was still dotted with colourful bruises.

"Rosie." Mom said softly, moving to sit on the sofa by my window, Dad sat next to her. "How are you feeling?" She asked and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Fine." I replied, it was far from a convincing one but I didn't have the energy, nor the heart for that.

Mom shook her head, her expression hardening, "You are not fine, and it is my fault. I should have never-" she paused. "-he was the first person that I have ever killed and hopefully the last. And it got us, it got you in this mess."

Dad placed his hand on her shoulder and whispered something to her. Mom nodded in response and then said,

"Everyone is here if you wish to say goodbyes, if not then you can just go." I bit the inside of my lip and then replied,

"I don't. I'll say goodbye to Ollie and Uncle Danny but I don't think that I could say goodbye to anyone else."

Dad and mom both nodded.

"No matter what, we will always be a call away. No matter what happens. I've spoken to Noah and he has agreed to train you. You already know more than basic self defence so it shouldn't be too hard for you to pick up on."

I nodded, the reality dawning on me all over again. I went over to mom and dad and hugged them both.

"I love you both."

Mom's grip was particularly tight on me, dad's was comforting and like a reminder that I would always have a home here.

Tears filled my eyes and a small sob broke free. "I don't want to go." I confessed, "I don't want to leave."

"I'm so, so sorry baby. I'm so sorry." Mom said, her pitch high, she must also be crying.

I pulled away and went back to my bed. I quickly scanned the room making sure that I had absolutely everything before wiping the tears from my eyes.

"I need to say goodbye to Ollie and Danny." I said finally, grabbing my suitcase and heading downstairs. Noah was waiting by the door, his lips pursed in a line, Ollie rushed towards me and I pulled him into my arms.

"I love you Rosie." I sighed, holding him close to me,

"I love you too."

Daniel moved into my line of sight, grandma by his side. I was going to leave without saying goodbye to her because it would be easier and that broke my heart.

I moved to hug them both and then said my goodbyes, I couldn't do anything about this and I might as well embrace this. This was going to be my new life, there was no point in crying about it.

As I got to the door Noah took my suitcase, Daniel then said,

"If he hurts you, I will kill him myself." I nodded, sparing him a quick smile before we made our way towards the car that would take us to his private jet.

I sat in the car beside Noah and let myself cry away from the eyes of my family. He didn't try to comfort me, just sat next to me and squeezed my hand softly.