Planet or plastic

Ridley sat upon a rock at the beach edge her gaze upon the ocean that lay before her. She said nothing as she listened to the sound of the ocean... it was different.
She remembered her parents stories about the ocean, how beautiful it was, how extraordinary it was. The majestic whale and its calls, the playful dolphin and its games, the vibrate coral surrounded by colorful fish swimming so magically, and the soothing sound of waves as they rushed to the beach and would withdraw with such grace.
Now...now the ocean was littered and black.
Oil spills dyeing the oceans black like thick tar that had drowned and suffocated thousands of sea life, baby whales would reach the surface to breath but would only get caught in the oil and unable to escape even with its mother's help.
Plastic had found itself littering and covering the ocean in all ways as innocent fish and dolphins would mistake the bright pieces of plastic as food and would find themselves trying to consume something that could not.
Penguins would get caught in plastic as it surrounded their necks suffocating them and taking their lives.
The oceans once so beautiful and majestic had been lost the magnificent creatures that once lived in the seas were gone, the only place where one could find a fish, dolphin, or whale. Was in the aquariums but not all creatures can live in aquariums; creatures such as big blue whales, great whites, whale sharks, and colossal squids were extinct. As well as other creatures that couldn't live in aquariums.
"Clean the beach" and other ways of cleaning the ocean of the plastic mess we left behind helped, but with every person who cared and acted upon their drive to help, there was ten others who only saw the ocean as ways of money or benefit for themselves.
The oceans were gone. Perhaps there was still water but the sea life was gone, the beautiful shades of blue were gone, and the beauty was gone. And why? who does it benefit? Who benefits from an ocean that is ugly and destroyed that smells of oil and sounds of plastic bottles.
No one. It benefits no one.
Ridley looked at a old picture taken by her mother of the ocean that was before, how so desperately Ridley wished she could see it, smell it, hear it. When now what she saw before it wasn't the ocean that her mother had taken a picture of; it was something different altogether and it wasn't better but worse.
So much loss. Of animals, of beauty, of life itself. So much was lost when the oceans were destroyed by humans waste. It makes one wonder if everyone had cared then before it was gone, would the ocean and the sea life still be here? If everyone cared?