Chapter28:

"Who let you in you old coot? You have no right to listen in on other people's conversations." Linda forced herself to meet his gaze "Why don't you turn around and take your gyrating hips out the door hmm?"

He deserved her cold shoulder. She certainly wasn't worried about her pride because in a matter of hours she was going to be packed and out away on a cruise out of his life entirely. "I'm talking to my family" she added for good measure.

"Family?" Carl snorted "This is my family."

His words cut deep but she held on to her resolve. "Well, these are my kids too. And I can choose to have a private talk with them if I want to unless if you want to tell them yourself of course?" Linda challenged the great Carl Morgan.

Silence reigned.

The Reynolds siblings stepped back toward the wall giving the two an arena to play this out. Even Gideon who'd come in behind Carl stayed in the shadows.

Linda faced Carl probably for the last time "You're scared to tell them just as you are to face the truth, Carl." She goaded him "And you're just as scared to make a commitment and I've had enough. Of everything." All the frustration, all the fear she held inside spilt out in mean-spirited accusations.

She hated how she'd been reduced to this level. "Ok" facing the trio she began "Your uncle___"

"Is going blind!" he roughed out the bitter words "I'm gonna be blind as a fucking bat bat one of these fucking days and there ain't a damn thing any of us can do."

Stunned silence filled out the air around them as the siblings digested the information. Delivered by Carl's exaggeration but that had been the attitude he had taken on since they'd gotten the diagnosis. Defiant and angry. And hopeless.

"He's exaggerating as per usual" Linda explained, "But there are issues that will need to be dealt with and since I won't be here, you all need to know."

"Harrumph!"

"The diagnosis?" Jude asked, ignoring his dear Uncle's grumblings.

"Macular degeneration," Linda said as she flicked through the pages on the digital presentation that was sloshed out on the big screen she had prepared for this occasion.

Jude read the analytical charts against the formulas displayed...he narrowed his eyes more on the screen than asked: "What do you have in mind, Linda?"

"A merger with Atkins and Associates. Atkins has already agreed."

"Fuck no." Carl slammed a hand on the table and stormed out of the door without looking back.

***

Gideon slipped out of the office where Jude's family was arguing like crazy. He'd listened to their dynamics with just enough ejectment before he withdrew his sense to hear...so to speak.

So he slipped back into the hall.

He caught up with his best friend Nick just as Nick was placing his phone back into his pocket. Gideon knew at first glance something was wrong "What's wrong?"

"Fire," Nick said at last his face pale. He didn't have to say it was the lodge, the implication was obvious and saddening enough.

"The fire-fighters are working on it now, but it doesn't look good on the north end. We need to head back right away." Nick finished.

Gideon's gaze fell to the closed door where Jude and his family were closed behind. Carl, he noticed had found the nearest bar and was nursing a cognac "Yea let me just leave a message and then we'll be out." He headed for the old man.

"Where's Jude?" Nick asked and at the face, his friend made "You're not gonna tell him yourself?" he sounded almost judgemental.

***

Jude had had private time with Linda so he left the office to give his siblings space with the mother figure in his life and headed straight for his bull-headed uncle. He found him by the bar "Cognac?" he started conversation

"Is there anything better?" he downed the glass and pounded it on the table. The bartender complied by pouring him three fingers "Sir?" he asked Jude.

"Whiskey sours, hold the garnish please."

"Pshtt" his uncle mocked "Hold the garnish please, you know just because it's a dark whiskey cocktail doesn't make it any less sissy."

"Yeah well I'm gay what do you expect." Jude joked "And it's not a sissy drink."

"Is it a cocktail?" Uncle Carl raised his eyebrows which now held a glimmer of grey hairs. "I raised you kids to have balls."

"And thanks to Linda we have feminine sides too and because of you both we have big hearts so what happened to yours Uncle Carl?" he asked not disguising his emotions

He slid the unfinished drink across the bar, then turned to face his youngest nephew "It takes heart and balls to let someone you love go that watch them suffer and all that martyr shit."

Jude pursed his lips in thought.

"That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard," he said finally "If you both love each other shouldn't communication come, bae....before anything else?"

Silence reigned.

"Well I love you still, and I'll always be here for you and so will Linda if you let her." Jude rose to his feet and hugged his Uncle tight.

"Where are you going? We have Linda's crappy business proposition to discuss?"

Jude recognized the subject change.

His uncle's eyes were moist and it wasn't just the alcohol and in no way was he about to discuss business when they were all so emotional and on their way to getting drunk. "I have to find Gide...erm Zero."

"He's gone," Uncle Carl said, "Said to relay the message." Uncle Carl stared at his drink once more.

"What message?" Jude asked trying not to sound too emotional or hurt.

"Something about a fire at the lodge" Uncle Carl took a solid gulp "Guess everyone's having a crappy day" he muttered

Oh, he didn't know the half of it.

a/n: Hey there...Hello. Have you browsed through my other stories in my profile? you should. There's also a book called 'FAMOUS' that you should totally add to your library for your fluffy and sexy bxb reading and hey don't forget to show me love by voting and commenting. That's the kinda thing that gives me life.