Chapter 1 : Wake Up Call

"ALRIGHT FREAKS, TIME TO GET UP!" The commanding voice of one of the many training instructors echoed down the halls.

With a unanimous groan, everyone in the facility slowly but surely rolled, pushed, or tumbled their way out of bed.

Well, almost everyone.

One person wasn't in bed, nor were they in their room, or even in the hall.

Her flexible rubber soles slapped against the cold, concrete flooring of the training room, only one of many in the prison of a laboratory.

Her eyes were sharp and her figure was alert, glancing around at the holographic entities around her, ready to strike.

Though she knew that they weren't real and could cause no real harm, they felt real. So real that you could practically smell the mixture of ash, blood and sweat dripping down their disfigured bodies. You could just imagine the razor blades of teeth and claws that they had ripping through your flesh.

'All it would take 'em is one slash with those things an' yer dead.'

The memory played through her head like a broken record, those words having been drilled into her head practically everyday from the moment she was brought here.

All of the possible moves she could make danced around her mind in an aimless blur. It would seem almost unintelligible to most people, yet it made things so much clearer to her.

Her head perked up just the slightest bit as she sensed movement behind her.

It had only taken a fraction of a second for the imitation beast to lunge at her, teeth bared and ready to attack.

With a swift flap of the wing on her back, she dodged the attack with ease, all of the beasts were triggered to fight now, all eight of them coming at her at once.

Just as she got ready to attack though, the room suddenly let out a soft whirring noise. It was like a computer being shut off and powered down, though that was pretty much exactly what it was.

"Alright there hotshot, you've been at this for the past two hours, give someone else a turn!" The instructor demanded in a bitter tone.

"A-ah! David, d-don't you're being a bit too harsh? The girl was only p-practicing and-"

"Yeah? Well now it's done, and don't call that thing a 'girl', it's a monster and doesn't deserve anything more than that." He argued back with the female scientist.

The girl only stared at the two blankly for a few moments and noticed how the holograms has dissipated into nothing. She simply stayed silent and walked past them, not caring to look at or even acknowledge the group of twenty or more people that stood behind them, drowsily waiting for their turn at the simulator.

"Hey! You know that's-!" The woman halted in her statement as she turned on her heel and followed after her, "(Y/n), Wait! I have something I'd like to discuss with you!"

She stopped in her tracks in an instant, not being the type to deny an order.

The older woman grinned at this,
"Thank you (Y/n), now, I would like to talk about a matter with you in private. Would you follow me?" She proposed.

She didn't even have to answer, it was obvious what her choice was.

The scientist only nodded with a sigh,
"Good, follow me." She turned and began walking, the (h/c) haired girl in tow.

~•o0O0o•~

Both females were sat at a plain grey table, a dim overhead lamp situated in the corner of the room.

It was a blank room, nothing overly exciting about it, but it was all that was required for a meeting room, especially with the budget that the facility maintained.

"So (Y/n), how have you been doing?" The woman asked as she relaxed in her cheap, black office chair.

The girl stayed quiet, to which the scientist only sighed.

"A full year and you still won't say a single word to me, huh (Y/n)?"

It was true, in the entirety of the time that she had been there at OSE, there wasn't a single time that she had spoken a word to anyone.

"That's fine, there's just something I wanted to tell you." She continued, having gotten used to the girl's usual silent stare by now and respected it.

"The government and head of the OSE have decided to transfer you to the placement program, so you will be leaving with the rest of the admitted subjects in about five hours. Do as you please during that time, but please be ready to leave at wing C by the end of that time period." She stated in a cheery yet robotic manner.

Though she would never admit how she had given the exact same brief to hundreds of other selected subjects, the girl knew how she was nothing special. She knew how the information she was just given was only words on a sheet that had been handed out to any of the people required to give the brief.

The soft skid of her, lower-quality, fold-out metal chair sliding across the floor sounded in the room as the girl gave a curt nod to the woman before turning and walking out the door.

She didn't have to be told that there was nothing else to say, she could read it in the woman's eyes.

With the information she had just been given tucked away in her brain, she headed off to wing C to wait for the truck to arrive.

She had no belongings, she had already eaten, and it wasn't like the training instructors were going to allow her to train any further when she had already done so all morning.

So she made her way to her destination, the world around her a blur, blotched out and too muddied to recognize, yet she knew where she was going.

Just another day.