6. The Abandoned City

"Did we have to come so early? It's 6 in the morning!" Maya complained while rubbing her eyes.

The crew had gathered at the entrance of the Harlequin Restuarant (the bakery part). True enough, it was six in the morning and there was hardly any light outside.

"Yes!" Naomi snapped. "You don't have to come if you don't want to." She wore a brown leather jacket on top of a black blouse and black skinny jeans.

"Actually, I think I'll stay here," Maya said shyly.

Mary and Ted gasped. Maya felt like a traitor.. but she really needed that beauty sleep.

"Are you CRYING?" Naomi blurted out.

"No?" Maya's voice came out in a higher-than-normal pitch.

"Hey, no need to get snappy here," Britney turned to Naomi and said sternly. Similar to Naomi, she wore dark clothing. She sported black cargo pants, a black tank top, and a light grey sweater zipped halfway up.

"What about Lena? She doesn't even know what's going on!" Ted realized.

"Since I'm staying, I'll tell her," answered Maya. "We'll be running the restaurant while you guys look for Naomi's sister."

"Thanks, Maya," said Britney.

"No problem."

"Let's hit the road people!" Naomi announced happily.

***

"Wow, look at the scenery! It's beautiful!" Mary murmured as she looked out the car window.

They were slowly approaching the outskirts of town. Rows of buildings had been replaced by fields of bushes and mountains lining the horizon.

"Mary, Ted, are you guys ok in the back seat?" Britney asked.

"Yep!" answered Ted.

"I wish I could drive. I mean, I AM in the front," muttered Naomi.

"Haha too bad. I'm driving," teased Britney.

"I hate you."

"I hate you too."

...

"OH MY GOSH!" shrieked Mary.

"WHAT!" Britney yelled.

"Stop the car!" Mary ordered.

Britney hit the breaks. Hard.

"You just about made me crash, so you better have a good explanation!"

"There's a little girl out on the road!" Mary pointed.

Naomi, Ted, and Britney turned to look out Mary's window.

Standing on the edge of the road was a little girl of about eight years with medium-length tangled chestnut-colored hair. She wore tattered black leggings, an orange skirt, and a brown hoodie.

"Somebody help!" she shouted. "Please." She began to weep.

Mary stepped out of the car and jogged to where she stood.

"Hey, are you ok?" she bent down to be at eye-level with the little girl.

"No, I'm lost. I don't know what's going on!" she sobbed.

"What are you doing out in the middle of the road?" Mary asked in a soft voice.

The little girl's eyes widened. "I actually don't know! I can't remember anything at all." She began to cry all over again.