13. Pale Sunlight

"Hey, sis... How are ya?" Naomi asked softly, fidgeting her hands on her lap.

"I've seen better days haha..." Ashley forced a weak laugh and squinted her eyes under the harsh hospital lights above her.

I hope she's ok, Naomi thought to herself. Her mind drifted to earlier when she had finished her meeting at the police station and ran as fast as she could to the hospital.

"How is she, doctor? Is she feeling any better?"

"We studied her, and we found that she passed out from the trauma and severe stress she went through. She also had some minor scrapes and cuts, nothing too major. But..."

There's a but... What awful thing would she disclose?

"We will need her to stay for a few weeks for further analysis."

"I understand..."

Naomi cleared her throat. "I heard you'll be staying here for a few more week."

"Yeah.. but don't worry about me. I'll be better in no time."

Her voice sounded so weak, that Naomi was not really sure about that last part. At least she was hopeful.

Young Nurse Nora stepped in accompanied by a casually dressed teenager. "Miss, it's time for you to leave now. We have to do further examinations," she addressed the patient's sister softly.

Naomi looked up and nodded. She leaned close to her sister, brushing her hair away from her face. "Bye Ash, I promise I'll keep coming to check on you."

"Aww, thanks sis," Ashley smiled.

***

"Where are we going again?" Naomi asked as she made herself comfortable in the passenger seat of a sleek red Mini Cooper.

The same girl with a black bob who had saved Naomi and Ashley from their kidnapper now sat next to Naomi dressed in casual wear. She checked the side mirror and steered right.

"The President would like to speak to you."

Naomi gasped, then lifted an eyebrow at the peculiar implication. "Wait. Why would she want to talk to me?"

"I'm actually not sure myself, but that's for you to ask her."

"I see..."

***

The young girl with the bob stepped into a lavish red office. "President Morgan, Naomi is here."

Morgan stood up from her organized and polished white desk and removed her reading glasses. "Very well. Let her enter."

The young girl nodded as Naomi entered the room hesitantly. "Uh- nice to meet you, President."

Morgan cleared her throat in a serious manner. "You too. You're probably wondering why you are here. I will explain everything to you.

Naomi noticed that she had the voice of a sophisticated upper class woman, which was not too surprising judging by her role. The older woman before her was wearing a red suit and black stilettos. Her shoulder length light blonde hair was parted exactly in the center and blow dried with the tips turned outwards.

Morgan motioned to the young girl and gave a proud grin, showing off rows of perfectly straight and glistening white teeth under ruby red lips. "Meet Amy, our secret agent."