Formality Part 2

I turned and riffled through the dresses on the racks around me. They were all very... Well, they were more Lydia's style. She liked being showered with attention, so her clothing was always very modern and 'in'. I mean, she dressed like a goddess, but it just wasn't me. I liked simple. I found three dresses that I wanted to try on then looked up to find Allison.

My stomach dropped when I saw her standing with Peter. Alone. I listened in, and he was talking about her skin and how beautiful it was. Buffalo Bill, or what? I quickly walked to her.

"Allison, there you are," I said. She seemed positively filled with relief, and I looked over at Peter, glaring at him. "I found some dresses, and I need a second opinion. You mind?"

"Of course not," she smiled. Peter chuckled and I took her hand, pulling her towards the dressing rooms.

Behind me I heard Peter speaking to me. "You win again. You won't always be there to save everybody, though. And when you aren't, I'll be right there." I didn't give him the satisfaction of letting him know I heard him as I pushed her into a room with me.

"Thank you," she sighed. "I was getting a little freaked out."

"Yeah, what was that about anyway?" I asked, pulling off my shirt. I could try on dresses with pants, so I left those on.

"I don't know. It was so weird, he started complimenting my skin and telling me to pick a lighter color because I was fair. Ugh, I was so uncomfortable. Thank god you got me when you did," she said, laughing lightly.

"Anytime. So, what do you think?" I did a little twirl as she studied me. After a second, she squinted and shook her head. "Yeah, I thought so, too." I took it off and hung it back up, then pulled another dress off.

It fit snugly across my chest, making me look like I had a lot more cleavage than I actually did, and I stared at myself in the mirror, trying to decide if I liked it.

"So, is there anyone else? Someone specific you want to dance with tonight?" Allison asked, eying the dress.

I thought about it for a minute. "I don't know. You know that kid on the lacrosse team? I think his name is Isiah? No... Isaac! That's it. Yeah, him. He doesn't talk much, I think he's shy. He's pretty cute. And sweet from what I gather." She shook her head at the dress, so I took it off to try on the next one.

"Lydia might've introduced me to him. You think he'll be there tonight?"

"Honestly, I don't know. I can't get a read on him. He's such a private guy. I'm even kind of surprised he's in lacrosse. Violence seems to make him kind of nervous. Like he's always scared or something. I don't understand him," I mused. My musings were distracted when I looked at myself in the mirror.

"That's definitely the dress," Allison said.

"You think so?"

"If you don't buy it, I'm buying it for you. You look amazing in it." We grinned at each other, and I did a little happy dance that she laughed at. I changed back into my regular clothes and we set out to find her dress, and this time I stayed close to her.

--------------------------------

I had showered, shaved (twice, just to be sure everything was smooth), pampered and painted. I was determined to get someone's attention tonight, even if it wasn't Stiles'.

I let my hair air-dry as I laid out my outfit for tonight. I had two hours left. I could definitely do this. I knew exactly what I wanted in my appearance, I was determined to make it happen.