The Dark Moon Part 3

I lifted up Stiles' hood and a plethora of white smoke started floating out of it.

"I don't know much about cars, but I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing," I said. Stiles was too busy watching Kira and Scott hug (seriously? Just a hug?) to notice, then he groaned and sprinted over the few feet to mess with the hoses.

Almost everything in there had duct tape around it. God, this thing was just barely hanging on.

Malia, who was kneeling down by the front right tire, said, "Stiles. I don't think we hit something." She pulled out a medium-sized curved tool that looked like it was made of bone and wrapped in twine at one end while the other end was sharp and pointed. "I think something hit us."

Stiles took it and stared at it with fearful confusion.

"Any chance that looks like something made by someone harmless who's looking for new friends?" I asked, which earned me a look from him. I nodded and sighed. I didn't think so either.

"Alright, hand me my tools, babe. They're in the-."

"I know where they are," I said, already on the way to the back. I lifted the window and reached in, pulling out his small bag of tools, which was really just a screwdriver, wrench, and duct tape.

I handed it to him, and he grabbed the screwdriver and wrench. I leaned against the front, holding the tape in my hand because I knew he would need it at some point while he held the screwdriver in his mouth and got to work with the wrench.

"Maybe we should just walk," Lydia sighed half an hour later.

"Shouldn't have said that," I warned as Stiles inhaled and glared at her.

"Hey. I will never abandon this jeep. Okay?" Stiles grumbled. "You understand me? Ever." He stuck the wrench in his mouth, now using the screwdriver to tighten some kind of cap. "Ever." Stiles had one foot on the front bumper, the other on the side bumper as he straddled the edge of his jeep, using it as leverage to tighten something else.

I stepped to the left as he grunted, trying to pull something. His hands were covered in black grease and I was lost in mechanic fantasies of him while watching him struggle to be a mechanic.

Malia snapped me out of it by telling Stiles to work faster in a worried voice. We all looked up at her, and she was staring off into the hills like she was waiting for something to run out and scream boo.

"There's something out here with us," she said. I walked up to her side, looking out with her. I didn't know what she saw, but if it was the same thing that threw the bone shiv, then I certainly didn't want it any near Stiles.

I stayed on alert while Stiles tried to work faster. Every time he tried to start the jeep, it just sputtered and died again, so it was safe to say it wasn't working. This pattern continued all the way into nightfall. I'd lost track of the time as I patrolled the area around the jeep, sticking close to Stiles.

Lydia held the light for Stiles while he worked, and he was almost standing inside the hood by now. Kira had her sword, and I kept my claws out and ears open, ready to protect my friends.

"Lydia," Stiles huffed. "Could you please hold the flashlight still for a second? It's really hard to see anything when you keep shaking it like that."

Lydia looked at him with annoyance. "I'm shaking it like this because we're in the middle of nowhere with your broken-down jeep, and we're being attacked by yet another razor-clawed monster. And I'm terrified."

Stiles leaned up suddenly. "Well, just be slightly less terrified." Lydia rolled her eyes at him, and I fought back a smile. If things had been different, he would've been a lot nicer and flirty about that. He yanked something out, handing it to her. "And hold this."