Chapter One

"You're an idiot."
     "Imp."
     "Fairy!"
     "...did you seriously just call me a fairy? Rude." I sniff, pouting at my younger brother, Ian, as he grins and sticks his tongue out.
     "Hey, do you think—"
     He goes silent as the door to our shared bedroom is opened and dad pokes his head in. "Boys, it's time for bed. Ian, you have school tomorrow." He warns sternly.
      I shrink into myself as I'm ignored. Typical. He doesn't care what I do or if I'm up all night. I'm not allowed to go to school anymore.
     I made it happily and naively to my junior year of high school before my scent dropped and everything changed. The few friends I had stopped talking to me and my family straight up disowned me without so much a word. I'm only here under their roof as an obligation.
     Omega.
     That stupid word. The word that changed everything. It ruined my life. Destroyed everything I was working so hard to build. I had a life and now...now I'm just a shadow. I hate it. Now I only have Ian. He still loves me unconditionally.
      Ian sighs as dad walks out. "Why does he do that? I don't understand how he can treat you like you're not even here. You're his son, too!" He frowns.
      I take his hand. "It's okay. I'm used to it by now." It's been over a year since I placed as omega. I would have graduated high school by now. I was sixteen then. Now I'm almost eighteen. I had so much going for me.
      See, our system is thoroughly discriminatory against omegas—most especially male omegas. All of us are treated equally until our sixteenth birthday when our true scent appears. Everyone is either recognized as alpha, beta, or an omega.
Most all omegas are female, though. Very rarely a male will scent as one and is immediately discarded as a genetic mistake. A freak of nature. That's me. A mistake. A freak. A disappointment.
There have only been a few actual recordings of male omegas placing. It's a daunting reality. My family is ashamed of me. They pulled me out of school immediately out of humiliation but it was too late. Everyone knew what I was. It's impossible to hide a scent once it makes itself known.
I hate myself. Why did I have to be an omega? I've never asked for much in my life but this...no one deserves this.
"It's not right, Colton. Who cares what you scent as! You're the same person as before!"
I smile at his conviction. "It doesn't matter and you know that. It's done."
"They can't ignore you forever and they can't make you stay here forever, either. You're about to be an adult!"
That's one good thing. As soon as I turn eighteen, I'm gone. I'll pack my bags and go out on my own. Maybe live among the humans that know nothing about omegas and such. I'd certainly have a better chance in that environment.
"Yeah. Just one more month."
He lays down and I do the same, staring at the ceiling. One month and I'll have my freedom. I could even maybe go back to school. A human school. My parents couldn't stop me and I doubt they care enough about me now to even notice my absence.
I'm so close. After almost two years of loneliness and neglect, I'll finally be able to start living again.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

      "Colton!"
      I flinch at the sound of my name coming from my dad's mouth. He hasn't spoken a word to me since my placement. So long...
     Frowning, feeling apprehension, I hesitantly walk into his office. "Y-Yeah?"
     He glances up from his paperwork. "Sit."
     I sit.
     "Your mother and I have been trying to figure out a way to rid our family of the shame your scenting has placed upon us."
     I blink at the harsh words but can't say I'm truly surprised by them. I've always known how they feel about me. "I'll be eighteen next month. I'll leave."
     He stops shuffling around his desk and stares at me hard. "And what does that solve in this family?"
     "Well...uh...I mean..."
     "Colton, it's in your best interest—as well as ours—if you listen to me very closely and do as I say. I've found a solution to our problems."
      I feel sick to my stomach as I anxiously await his 'solution'. "Y-you have?"
      He rests his chin on his steepled fingers, eyeing me like a predator. "You will be sent to live with a very powerful alpha. He's in need of an omega."
     My mouth falls open. "W-What? Why? Will I be working?"
     His lips twist into a snarling smile. It's downright scary. Nothing like my father. A stranger. "Of sorts. He needs an heir."
     I try to understand the connection but come up blank. "An h-heir?"
     "I'm going to be very clear. You will go live with this alpha as his whore. As a male omega you can have children. You'll give him that."
      I gasp. "No!" I stand up, nearly knocking the chair over. "You can't do this! Please, dad—"
     "Never call me that! You stopped being my son after being discovered as a filthy omega." He scoffs with disgust at the word. "Everyone knows the only useful thing a male omega can do is use their bodies. You will do as I say."
     I glare at him, tears threatening to spill over. "You can't do this to me! I won't do it!"
     "You don't have a choice. We already received the money for you."
     I gape at him, stunned. "Y-you sold me?!"
     He nods curtly. "Yes. I'm actually surprised the amount of money that was offered. This money will help restore our family reputation." He straightens his shoulders, scowling. "You will do as you are told, Colton. You will be leaving in two days."
      I storm out of his office and slam the door to my room, panicking. I can't do this. I can't let myself be given to a strange alpha that just wants to use and most likely abuse me.
      I'm not good enough to be his mate so I'll just be his whore? That's all I'm good for—according to my father? I slide down the door and sit on the floor, staring into space.
     One month. So close. One month to my freedom and it's snatched away from me in seconds. Why? Why do they keep doing this to me? What have I done to deserve this?
      How am I going to tell Ian...that our own parents sold me? I'm terrified for him. His placement is coming up soon. I won't be here to support him. Or save him...
      I glance at my clothes hanging in the closet. One month...now two days. I have two days to think of a way out of this.
     Maybe...maybe I still have a chance to run. They can't track me. No one cares about me to stop me, right? I just have to pretend to play along until I see my chance and take it.
      I can't let myself fall into this alpha's hands. I won't be his to claim. I'll hide myself away with the humans if I have to. I'll never be found there.