Chapter Seven

"Don't hesitate. Choose whatever you like." Marcus's voice cuts through the static in my head as I stare, wide eyed, at the huge looming store before me.
He pats my shoulder, urging me to look at all the ridiculously overly priced clothing wracks and shoes and jewelry scattered around me. "Is...is this really necessary? I have clothes."
He gives me a thorough once over, appraising. "As my future employee, I simply can't have you looking like a bum—no offense. I run a very strictly attired establishment. This is for work and functions. All on my company dime. I'm giving you free reign to indulge a bit."
My mouth twists and I shake my head. "I don't want your money, Marcus. I'm not that type of guy. I work for the things I get."
"And you can't start working without proper clothes. Just accept this and move on. It's not that difficult." He sighs. "Just take the gift I'm willingly giving you, Colton."
With the knowledge that I'm not going to win this battle, I give in. "Fine. I only want the main things for work and that's it, though. Nothing else."
Despite wearing sunglasses, I just know he's rolling his eyes at me. He leads me deeper into the store and begins picking out suits to have fitted.
I'm forced to try on at least ten suits before he begins tossing me shirts and pants and pajamas and underwear and shoes—
"Stop! Why do I need these things? I don't need half of this stuff." I change back into my own comfortable and nondescript clothes and shake my head. "I'll accept a couple suits and the shoes but I don't need anything else."
He lowers his shades to glare at me. "You're my employee, remember? I'll say what you need and what you don't. Take what I give you and hush up."
Without giving me a chance to argue, he hands his card over to the service rep and has her charge everything I tried on and bagged up. I gripe the whole time, watching as at least fifteen bags of clothes and accessories are carefully placed into the trunk of his expensive Mercedes.
Sliding into the passenger seat, I cross my arms and scowl. I have a feeling that with Marcus I'm never going to get my way. He's too...overbearing and alpha. I don't like it. Not one bit.
     He climbs behind the wheel and begins driving us towards the city. "Let's grab a meal before we head back."
     "Mhm." Lost in thought, I stare out the window. I wonder how Ian is doing. Is he okay without me? Has Marcus demanded him yet from my parents?
     "Got something on your mind?"
    I press my lips into a hard line, glancing at him from the corner of my eye. He looks ridiculously cool and handsome driving his fancy car with one hand. Jerk. "Have you talked to my parents yet?"
     He snorts. "You can still call them that? I have...they aren't pleased with my demands for repayment or their other son. Apparently they are hoping he will place as alpha. I told them I still want him no matter what he places."
     A sigh of relief leaves my lips. "So...when are you taking him?"
     He hesitates. "They are reluctant to release him to my care. Perhaps they are hoping you will be found. They have people looking for you." He smiles sardonically. "Of course they will never find you."
     I find myself smiling. "I'm surprised they care."
    "Well...you are putting them out over a million dollars."
     Right. Theres that.
    How could I forgot what I am to them.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

     He takes me to a fancy restaurant with a reservation. I frown, wondering when he made it. Was this planned?
Does it matter?
    I lean back against the cool plush seat and relax. Sipping my wine and eyeing all the many appetizers. My stomach rumbles, starving from all the shopping. I hate shopping.
      He pushes another glass of wine my direction. "Drink up."
     "Trying to get me drunk?"
    "What would be the benefit of that? I'd have to carry you out of here."
     "What makes you think I'm a lightweight? I can hold my liquor."
     He quirks a brow. "Have you ever drank before today?"
     I open my mouth but nothing comes out. He isn't wrong. "I'm not a lightweight." I stubbornly reply.
    "If you say so. You won't hear the end of it if I do end up carrying you out of here, though."
     "No chance of that so don't hold your breath." I look at him with distain. "I don't care how much you secretly want to hold me."
    "Cocky, are we?"
     I smirk, raising my wine glass. "Why shouldn't I be? I'm either a freak of nature or a hot commodity. Whichever way you look at it...I'm fucking rare, huh?" Grinning like the chestshire. "And I'm rather snuggly if I say so myself. Be jealous."
     I get the glorious amusement of watching him be taken aback at my bold words.
     A slow smile curves his full lips and he laughs. It's a rich musical sound. "Touché."
     Dinner flies by rather quickly and before I known it...I'm tipsy and wobbling my way into the car. I did not need him to carry me! Ha! I don't need you, stupid arrogant alpha!
      I feel my eyes close and half way home I black out.

     When I wake, I'm tucked securely into my bed with a fresh change of clothes. Marcus's cologne fresh in my nostrils as I breathe in deeply.
I guess he ended up carrying me after all...now I'll never hear the end of it. Huuhuuh.