Chapter 2

Rage boiled inside Tin, but he tried his best to keep it at bay. After all, he needed this boy's help and strangling him wasn't going to do him any favors. So, with his fists clenched shut so tightly that his nails dug into his skin, Tin turned away to recollect himself. He shook his head while taking deep breaths, only thinking of the blessed days to come when he didn't have to deal with people of such low stature any further. With that in mind, Tin turned back to face Can only to find himself alone. He sighed, rolling his eyes, and sprinted after Can who had started off in the direction they had come.

Catching up to the boy was hardly a difficult feat; Tin's long legs made short work of the distance the much shorter Can had put between them.Tin reached out and grabbed Can's wrist, pulling  hard enough to effectively stop him in his tracks and swing him back around.

"We aren't done yet," Tin growled.

"Oii." Can tried to free himself but it was a futile attempt. Tin was too strong. "Let go."

Tin perused Can then sighed again. He released Can but closed the distance between them.

"Don't think about running again."

Can pouted but nodded in agreement. "Who are you anyway?"

"Tin," he answered.

"Tin? You're Pete's friend? The one he asked me to help?" Can's eyes widened and his brows arched. "But Pete is so nice and you're so..."

Tin gave him an unimpressed look.

"Okay, so what did you need help with? I don't have all day. And I didn't get to eat because of you!"

"Pete didn't tell you?" Tin asked.

Can tilted his head as if it would help him recall his conversation with Pete. "No."

"Then why did you agree to help?"

"Ae is my friend, and Pete is his friend. That makes Pete my friend too. So, if Pete needs my help, I'll help," he said as-matter-of-factly. "Isn't that normal?"

Taken aback, Tin studied Can closely. Tin hated to admit it, but Can was a rare specimen. They had known each other no longer than a few moments yet Can had managed to surprise him more than once already. And there was something pure about him, despite Can being quite simple. But Tin wouldn't be fooled. People hid behind masks, and there were no exceptions. Can might look innocent now, but it didn't mean he wouldn't stab Tin in the back given the right motivation and opportunity.

So, instead, Tin chose to ignore his question. "Someone stole my magic," he explained. "I don't know who or how or why, but obviously I want it back. That's where you come in. You can find them, right?"

Can nodded his head. "It won't be easy, but I think I can do it."

"You think?"

"My ability... Tracing magic is complicated. It'll take some time."

Tin sighed for the what felt like the hundredth time. So much for getting this over with quickly. "Okay, so how does this work then?"

A blush crept onto Can's pale cheeks. "I'll have to spend some time with you. You know... to become familiar with your magic."

Tin groaned as he continued listening to Can's explanation. His ability worked better when the bond between him and the person he was searching for was stronger. And though he currently was without his magic, it belonged to him. And according to Can, magic couldn't be Erased no matter the method. But that condition was most likely the reason he had never heard of Can before. An ability to trace magic was indispensable, in Tin's opinion, but the way it worked in Can's case made it quite ineffective.

"It's like a bunch of colors swirling around," Can told him. "Everyone's color is different - some are bright and some are dull. Other's shine and some sparkle. There are even some that change colors. But the closer I am with someone, the more clearly I can see those differences. It's like the person's magic wants me to know it's them."

Tin understood but didn't like it. Two days had passed since he lost his magic, and with even more days ahead to be wasted, whoever took his magic would be long gone by the time they even started the search. But what choice did he have? There was no one else he could turn to.

Tin raised his hand in gesture to quiet Can. The boy could really talk. "I understand. What should we do then?"

"Eat," Can answered immediately. "I'm so hungry!"

"To your family's tavern, then?"

Can shook his head. "I know the perfect place. They have the best skewers in the kingdom. They cook them over an open fire and smother them in this sauce. I don't know what's in it exactly, but it's delicious! It's a bit spicy but sweet at the same time. How is that even possible? I haven't had them in so long. My stomach is growling just from thinking about them!"

Tin watched Can lick his lips, a dreamy smile on his face. "I'll treat you as a thanks."

Can's eyes lit up and his smile grew. "Promise? You said it yourself. You have to keep your word, kay?"

Tin nodded and stepped to the side, slightly amused. And with a flourish of his arm, he said to Can, "Lead the way."

________

T.B.C