Chapter 4

Trust? What was that? Tin thought he understood what it was once, a long time ago. But now he knew better. There was no such thing as trust, at least not the kind people boasted having with one another – the kind where one person would do and sacrifice anything for the other. It was just another pretty word people used to their advantage, to manipulate and hide their true intentions for staying by your side.

‘I trust you, Tin. Don’t you trust me?’

Tin shook his head to rid himself of the harrowing memories creeping up on him and instead looked into Can’s eyes. He already had his answer, so why was he hesitating? There was nothing more to think about, yet the words wouldn’t come out of his mouth. What was wrong with him?

In that moment, Tin realized how close Can was. The smaller of the two still had his hand planted beside Tin’s head and their bodies were almost touching, their breaths mixing. From this distance, it wasn’t difficult to take in Can’s attributes. Jet black hair, fair skin, pouty lips. In actuality, there was nothing special about Can. He was just someone Tin happened to meet, and more than that Can was just a clumsy and always hungry idiot who talked without filter. So, why couldn’t he look away?

No, he reminded himself again.

“I don’t trust anyone,” Tin said, finally, ducking under Can’s arms and brushing past him.

Can caught his wrist. “Fine, you don’t have to trust me. Just let me help, na?”

Why did Can want to help him so badly when he already made it clear he wanted nothing further to do with the boy? It couldn’t simply be a token of gratitude over a meal.

“On three conditions,” Tin gave in.

Can smiled and nodded.

“One, don’t talk to me unless I talk to you first.”
Can’s smile disappeared but he readily agreed.

“Two, don’t touch me again,” Tin grumbled, pulling his hand free from Can’s grasp.
Can mumbled an apology and nodded once again.

“And lastly, you pay for your own food.”

The look on Can’s face almost made him laugh. It was as comical as it was sad. His eyes were opened wide and glassy, his lips curved into a pout. It was like Tin had taken away Can’s favorite toy and he was trying not to cry. Tin found it amusing that this was what Can had a problem with, after all the other two rules seemed impossible for Can to follow. He really seemed unable to control himself.

“You’re okay with that, aren’t you?”

Can stayed quiet and gritted his teeth, all the while making a strange face as if he was in pain before nodding. “Mmm.”

“Good. We can get started now, right?”

“Yes,” Can solemnly replied.

With that finished with, Tin ordered Can to sit still quietly while he packed a bag. He didn’t know where Can would lead him, but he wanted to make sure he was ready in case the thief was no longer in within the city walls. When he got his bag arranged, Tin fixed his belt in place and pulled on a cloak. He then placed his rapier into its scabbard already hanging from his belt, thinking to himself how long it had been since he last used it. Tin had become so accustomed to using magic, his rapier’s weight felt foreign at his side.

When Tin turned, he found Can watching him. The boy was so quiet he had nearly forgotten he was there. He raised a brow at Can, but the boy said nothing. Right, he wasn’t supposed to speak.

“Is there something wrong?” Tin asked.

“No.” Can stood and stretched. “We’re going now?”

Tin tilted his head, curious as to what Can was thinking. It didn’t look like he had nothing to say, but if he wasn’t going to say it then Tin wasn’t going to force him.

“Yes, let’s go.”

They exited Tin’s home and began walking down the road. Tin watched Can as he walked silently beside him. Tin knew he was the cause of Can’s current state, but he still couldn’t help but find it eerie.

“Do you need anything before we go?”

Can shook his head without looking at Tin, but instead pulled his cloak back, turning to the side to reveal an amplifier. It wasn’t a bad model but it also wasn’t the best. At least it looked like it was well-kept. But Tin wondered why he needed an amplifier when he could use magic. Can was only a rank five magician, but unlike Pete’s bodyguard magic was still at his disposal. Either way, Tin hoped Can knew how to use the amplifier.

“So, how does this work?” Tin stopped in his tracks. “Can?”

Can was still following him but he looked barely conscious. Without thinking, Tin placed one hand on Can’s shoulder and the other moved to Can’s chin, tipping his head up until he was looking down into Can’s eyes. There was something strange about them, the normal brown in his eyes were now replaced with a golden sheen. Seconds passed before the golden glow disappeared and Can seemed to return to his senses.

“Huh?”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Can mumbled, blushing.

It took a moment for Tin to realize why, but the second he did he took a step back, allowing his hands to fall away from Can. Tin, himself, felt warmth creep into his cheek. His lips thinned as he turned his head away so Can wouldn’t see.

“I’m okay.” Can smiled as if to reassure him. “That’s just how it is when I use my magic. Ai Tin, are you worried about me?”

Tin scoffed. “Of course not. Now let’s get going before I leave you behind.”

Can chuckled but chased after him.

“So how do you know Pete?”

“Ai Ae asked me to find something for Pete.”

“Ah,” Tin mumbled. He put two and two together. It must have been the relic Pete was asked to retrieve for his promotional assignment.

Silence befell them once again. Tin thought it was best not to distract Can, seeing how much effort the boy put into tracking down the thief. And it wasn’t as if he was all that responsive anyhow. But when they passed through the main shopping district, Can finally spoke.

“He went this way.”

“There’s not much that way,” Tin said more to himself than Can. “Where could he be going?”

Tin followed Can as the boy lead him past building after building. The state of this section of the city made Tin cringed. He knew it was bad for some people, but this was beyond his imagination. They were no longer walking on pavement, yet they were still within the city. There looked to be more empty and abandoned structures than ones inhabited and even those were in terrible care. The people that he saw were literally dressed in rags and they were they epitome of skin and bones. Tin had to look away.

“How much further?”

“I don’t know,” Can answered. Can peered off into the distance where the buildings ended and the fields began. “I think he only passed through here. The trail seems to be heading out of the city.”

“So, he’s not from around here. Which means he must have been hired by someone.” Once again, Tin was talking to himself.

“So what should we do, Tin?”

“We’ll go after him, of course.”

“Okay,” Can agreed, a smile on his face. “Let’s catch this guy.”

________

T.B.C