Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty-Three

Mendrek watched as the two horses disappeared and as a third rider joined them. He turned around to face Valyn who had not seen the other rider.

"My Lord, are you sure you want the hall opened?"

"Yes."

"Very well, it will be opened for you."

Valyn walked away from him, leaving him with his thoughts.

He remembered the times he spent with his little brother Moldrick. The times when their father, a wizard himself, would teach them, give them tests and assess them.

When both were granted their first staffs, they had played around until Moldrick broke the rules. Their father, who was on the council at the time, warned him of his acts time and time again.

Finally, the council took his staff from him and cast him out. Mendrek remembered Moldrick arguing with him.

Moldrick decided to make his own staff. In the forests of Tedranor, Moldrick found the lost stone of Urturk; placing it on his new staff, he made his way to Horowitz where he killed their father. Before he could get the other council members, Mendrek came.

The battle that was fought between them was the hardest and roughest wizards would fight. Spell after spell, blow after blow and parry after parry. Mendrek defeated Moldrick, but because of the love Mendrek had, he left to Moldrick to live.

Moldrick took his chance and cut Mendrek's thigh. No one saw that scar apart from those that witnessed the fight.

Moldrick swore enmity to Mendrek for life. And there he embraced the darkness of magic becoming the last blood mage of Elasia, Mia Moldrin.

There the war of brothers began, everywhere they met they fought. However, that had been many years ago and now the world had changed.

Mendrek made his way up to the golden hall where he saw a figure standing in the doorway. It was Hauma the king. His eyes were weary and frightened.

"My Lord Mendrek," he said. "The creature or wizard that haunts these halls has taken the lives of my best men for many weeks now. I will not be responsible if it takes the life of one of the greatest wizards in our time."

"No one will hold you responsible, My Lord."

"But they will," Hauma cried. "And I fear this could be the end of you."

"No, it will not," Mendrek said. "It is but the first of many a task I must do before we see the fall of the darkness rising in the south."

"And what if it is?"

"Then the bridge shall be crossed when the time is right."

Hauma looked at Mendrek for a while, his grey eyes full of shock and pity. With a sigh, he breathed into Mendrek's ears, "May the skies protect you, My Lord."

"Should this mage fall," Mendrek said, "then the attack on your city shall follow soon. You must be prepared, My Lord."

Hauma nodded and turned away from Mendrek, leaving him. Mendrek entered the hall.

Its stone pillars and columns were made of pure gold. The wooden archways were inlaid with the purest form of silver with the walls painted gold. As Mendrek's foot landed, dust would rise in the air, leaving a mark where it was.

Mendrek perched himself on one of the tables and waited for fate to deal its fatal blow to his family. Through the large windows on the side of the hall, Mendrek could see the day fade away.