Chapter 4

"Dean?"

"Dean that's mistletoe."

"I know Cas."

"I don't understand, what does a plant have to do with us?"

Dean's heart was in his mouth and he felt as if it was about to jump out. His feelings confused him. There was a definite anger bubbling inside, directed at Sam for putting him in this situation, but there was also another feeling. A feeling that he had been trying to push away for years. A profound feeling of affection for the flawless angel that was crouched inside the closet in front of him.

"It's a christmas tradition, Cas" He stuttered, not knowing how this conversation would end, "If you catch someone else under the mistletoe, well, you have to kiss them"

Cas' breathing hitched. He knew that Gabriel could sense his affection for Dean Winchester (he had always been able to read him like that), but this was taking it to a whole new level. Gabriel had forced this on Cas, and he wasn't sure this was how he had imagined Dean discovering his feelings for the sublime hunter. One thing that did comfort him was the nervous aura that was being pumped into the air by Dean. If Dean was as nervous as he was, did this mean the feelings were mutual?

"It's alright Cas" Dean had noticed Cas' change in breathing "We don't have to kiss, it's just a stupid tradition. Just think of it as a practical joke by Sam and Gabe that we can ignore"

"But what if I want to, Dean?" Cas could barely believe the words that he was saying. They seemed to fall out of his mouth and there was nothing he could do to control it.

At those words, Dean moved his slowly from the ground to meet Cas' perfect blue eyes. How many times had he studied those eyes? How many times had he stared into the deep pools and wondered how easy it would be to fall in and never surface again? Dean had studied those eyes and he could see the truth behind Cas' words.

Cas watched as Dean stared into eyes, He had always tried to forget the first time he saw those luscious deep green eyes of his. The fear and sadness that had filled them as Cas raised him from the depths of Hell. The same fear and sadness that Cas had always seen remain in those eyes, not as prominent as before, but still lurking in the background. Now, as Dean stared into his eyes, was the first sign that Cas could see no trace of Dean's time in Hell. No matter how hard he searched every inch of his face, all that was plastered across it was hope.

Dean searched for words, but found none. He couldn't find any words that explained how much Cas meant to him. Instead, he began to lean forwards. He didn't know where the courage was coming from. All those years trying to hide his feelings, and yet here he was.

Cas noticed what Dean was trying to say, what Dean couldn't' say. Cas couldn't bear to look at Dean struggle with his words and feelings anymore. At last, he closed the gap in between them.

It was as if fireworks exploded the minute their lips touched. The soft texture of Cas' lips against Dean's own rough lip was something Dean was sure he could become addicted to. He hadn't realised how long he had been waiting for this moment, but Dean realised whilst kissing Cas that this was all he ever wanted, and that this was all he would ever want from hereafter.

Cas was Dean's christmas angel, and Dean was going to make sure that no one would hurt him again.