5. Welcome Home Nova

A/N- This chapter is where my story will veer off from the original story written by Marissa Meyer and into another version of my own. This means it pretty much will be completely different. If this is insulting to you then just don't read it. Thanks!

Now Nova and I were alone. We stood alone in the alleyway, no people in sight. We stood there and a couple of seconds passed, and then Nova shook her head and started walking away.

I finally found my voice to say something. "Nova? Nova, what in the world?" She ignored me and kept walking despite me yelling at her.

"Hey!" I said my confusion quickly turning to anger. "Nova! Do you not care that your cousin isn't dead after all these years? Or did Uncle David and Aunt Tala not even care? What about you or Evie-" Nova shoved me into the wall.

"Don't say that," she said, now with venom in her tone. "Like you cared about any of us, let alone Evie. What are you doing her anyway? Trying to laugh in my face?"

"Nova, what? Do you? Mean?" I panted.

"What do I mean?" She scoffed. "I mean that you have a family, you have a-"

"Mom?" I burst into tears. I let out all the tears I'd been saving inside for years, having close to nowhere that I could cry my heart out. I definitely could never cry like this to Kaylee. She looked confused. "I was six!" I sobbed. I had no one!" Realization dawned on her face.

"Your sister? Is she dead too?" she asked softly. I shook my head. "He killed Evie and Mom and Dad." she spoke softly to me, almost as if to a baby.

"Your dad is dead?" I was confused. "But he helped me get the strength to gather up Kaylee and keep living after my mom died. If your parents were dead where were you all this time?" Then, it dawned on me.

"Uncle Alec took me in when my parents died. I lived with him, with the Anarchists too. I should take you to meet them." she said.

"Oh my gosh, Kaylee!"

"What?"

"I forgot about Kaylee! Her school would be out by now, and- and- she'd be at home all alone!" I was on the verge of tears just thinking about Kaylee and I turned to leave, to run back home. I was so angry with myself for forgetting about Kaylee so I turned to go.

"Wait!" Nova said, startling me. "I'll go with you!"

"What?"

"Well, I haven't seen Kaylee in like 10 years and..." There was an uncomfortable silence. "Well, can I come if it's okay?" she asked shyly.

"Uh, well sure," I gestured for her to follow me.

We ran down side streets and roads for a good 10 minutes before coming to an apartment complex. It had brick walls which were crumbling and most of the paint was peeling. But most of all, was the colour. It was painted a mustard yellow that should have been some old lady's ugly potholder knitted by a dotting grandchild that everyone knew was no use at all. But still, it was the best I could afford, stealing and working jobs until she got fired. But not anymore. I was with the Renegades and so was Nova.

"Nova, would you mind waiting outside until I tell you? I'm not sure how Kaylee will take this." Nova agreed so I went inside alone.

I was surprised to see Kaylee standing at the stove boiling a pot of noodles with a pot of canned tomato sauce simmering beside it. "Kaylee?" Surprise showed clearly on my face.