The Path North

Leah held her breath as footsteps passed nearby. Through the gaps in the bushes she could see the orange glow of lanterns illuminating the ground and the lantern owner's feet. Boots. They were wearing boots. On the side there was a leather strap with a brass button. It had an emblem of a four-pointed star with three half circles on the left side. These were Governor Aldhara's servants.

Leah swore quietly to herself. They had followed her all the way out here. But she was not surprised. This was to be expected. Madam Governor must not lose her prize. The princess was still not thrilled about the delays the servants following her caused.

The journey to the next major city over, Furud, was supposed to be a week-long journey on foot. There was a paved road for most of the way and it had plenty of inns to rest and eat. But Leah did not have that luxury instead she was forced to hide in a pathless forest, moving only at night, and jumping from temporary shelter to temporary shelter. It had been two weeks and if Leah had to guess they were only half way there.

The footsteps continued on ahead. That was too close. Moon's light most of attracted them again. She waited on her stomach for a few more minutes. She pulled the fairy out of her bag. Leah used her hands to try to cup Moon's wings. Even though the fairy tried to keep her glowing to the minimum it was still pretty bright.

The fairy pulled out a hand drawn map from her hip pocket. The parchment showed a hand drawn the map to Furud. There was a X to determining where the city was. A shaky river was drawn along with suitable spots for cover.

Moon pointed at a spot near the river's bend and shook her hand to symbolize that they were probably in that general area. Probably.

Moon put the map back in her pocket and went back to hide in Leah's front pocket. The princess crawled out from under her bush to continue the journey.

Leah and Moon walked for a few minutes in silence. The fairy seemed to keep to herself. Leah could not quite figure out her out. She seemed to switch between a confident godmother to a nervous wreck of a woman of a dime. Why? Leah also noted that she knew next to nothing about Moon Alba.

Who was she?

Leah could see a clearing in between the gaps in the trees. Good. Leah could check the night sky to make sure that she was going in the right direction. She entered the clearing, thrilled at what she saw.

She saw a river before her, slowly winding its way out of a city. Large towers cast beams of light into the night sky. This was no small town, or settlement. It was Furud. The princess fell to her knees. They were so much closer than she thought.

Moon poked her head out of Leah's pocket. The city was close but still another day's walk, about 25km if Moon had to guess. But she was excited at the prospect of having a hot meal. She was tired of having to use her nature magic to produce food for the princess. Leah should have packed for more than one week of traveling.

But Moon was more excited of what was in Furud. It would be a necessary step in their journey. Moon just hoped that Leah's plan would work. It sounded risky at best.