Battle Plans

Leah woke up to a cold breeze against her back. It was night again. Moon was nowhere to be found. She rose back cracking. The wooden floors had not been pleasant to sleep on. Leah rubbed her eyes, attempting to wake herself up in the process. Her eyes adjusted to the moon lit attic.

"Alba?" No reply. "Alba?" she whispered louder.

A soft glow started to appear in a box next to her. Moon poked her head out of the box, clearly have just been woken up. Moon flew over to the princess still clearly groggy. "Is it time, your grace?"

Leah looked up at the stars. The primary moon had risen to its zenith in the sky, its permanent crescent shape illuminating the sky. A smaller second one had just started to appear on the horizon. The third was nowhere to be seen. Judging by their positions it was about 9:30. Leah opened her stopwatch to confirm. They had overslept by about two hours.

"It is. We are a little late but i do not think it will matter."

"Very well, shall i begin?"

"Yes"

Moon began to glow with a great blue light. Her small form began to grow into her "human" size. Long, white hair darkened and pointy ears grew short and round. The light began to subside as the fairy finished her transformation. It was odd the see the foreign woman at her full nearly two meter height after her being pocket sided for so long. Leah also noted that Moon had opted for an outfit change, her travel skirts had been replaced by the many layer dresses that the royal handmaid's wore.

Leah rummaged around in her bag looking for her hair pin. She handed it to the fairy, who pinned in to her hair in the proper place.

Even to a trained eye, Moon looked like a royal servant. Her dark, foreign complexation would be a rarity among royal servants, as well as her height. She stood nearly a head taller than most Canians and nearly two heads taller than the princess.

"Alba, have you remembered everything?"

"Yes your grace."

"Then let us go."

Leah climbed through the open window, down Moon's makeshift vine ladder. Leah was glad that she was still wearing pants. She failed to understand how Moon did anything in her floor length skirts that she always wore.

Moon stepped down beside her. They moved wordlessly through the street. Lanterns hung from poles, illuminating the streets below in a faint orange glow. Leah noticed how dim they wear in comparison to Moon's pale blue light.

They passed under the aquaduct. The city seemed to be empty at this time of night. They passed very few people. Leah could look into the empty shop windows, closed after the long day of work. In an upper floor window, Leah could the silhouettes of a family in a common room.

They were slowly moving out of the artisan district into the residential area. Even there, they meet no one. Leah continued to follow the aqueduct that lead to her destination. At least she thinks that's where it leads.

It seemed to wind its way through the resident district, leading to nicer and nicer houses. Soon the crowded streets ended. Moon and Leah were stopped by a gate. Behind the gate stood manors with plots of glassy yards. The road was well lit and lead to a manor that seemed to be the centerfold of the noble quarter, the governor's mansion. Two guards at the gate stopped Moon and Leah. A quick glance at their uniforms showed that they were Governor Furud's men.

Leah stood assuming the pose that so many servants had made, with her back straight and her eyes cast down. If Leah were to play her part, she could not say anything. Only speak when spoken to. Keep all responses short and to the point.

Typically most lower level servants would not be noticed. Leah could not remember how many times she had been working on or reading something only to look up to see a servant that she had forgotten to dismiss standing in front of her desk.

No one noticed servants. Most people couldn't be bothered to. In addition, it was quite common for royal handmaidens to have servants of their own. Leah's presence would not be questioned if Moon played her part correctly. Best of all, she won't even be noticed.

Moon began to talk to the guards, showing them the royal seal, on the hair pin. Leah allowed her bangs to fall in front of her eyes, hiding her face. If all was to go according to plan, Leah could be safe at last. She could retreat to the Northern safe house and have her own personal guard dog to.