Chapter 9

Regaining a more clear state of mind, Shardfang took on a defensive stance, and baring his teeth, asked, "Where am I?"

Barkpelt, twitched his whiskers in annoyance as he replied, "None of your business, you little kit."

Shardfang processed what Barkpelt had just said, and thought if being called a kit was supposed to be offensive. Kits were actually quite clever. More clever than Barkpelt, for sure, although not even close to as powerful.

"Not a clever answer," Shardfang growled.

"Not a clever response," Barkpelt snapped back, unsheathing his claws.

The large, dark brown tom took a threatening step forward, and Shardfang had to resist the temptation to take a step back. "What do you want?"

The large brown tom let out a growl from his throat before answering, "You're simply bait, and that's all I'll say."

Shardfang twitched his tail and meowed under his breath in annoyance, "Huh, figures."

Barkpelt gritted his teeth, and called out to one of the cats from before, "Get the holly. This kit woke up a bit too early, so make the dose stronger. Enough for, maybe two or three days. That should be enough time until we carry out the... plan."

Shardfang hissed and took a step back as the tortoiseshell stepped forward with a pawful of the poisonous berries.

Escape, escape, escape, escape...

Shardfang glanced past the three rogues, and spotted the cave entrance.

Shardfang gave a slight nod of his head as a plan formed in his mind.

It's stupid, but it might work.

The tabby black tom rushed past Barkpelt and the she-cat, hardly touching their fur.

Shardfang darted to the entrance, swiftly dodging the other rogues.

All of a sudden, Shardfang let out a yelp of pain as claws pierced his hind legs.

The claws dug into his flesh harder, and Shardfang fell face first into the dust.

He let out a vicious hiss and held back a yelp of pain as he felt warm blood running down his legs. Turning around, he faced his attacker with a sharp, silver glare, not wanting to back down.

Shardfang flipped onto his back, and scratched towards his attacker viciously.

The cat backed away, but dragged Shardfang with him.

Shardfang's eyes widened with surprise as the tortoiseshell she-cat towered over him. He narrowed his eyes at her and hissed.

On the other side of him, Barkpelt placed a paw on his belly, keeping him still.

His attacker dug their hooked claws into his hind legs even deeper.

Shardfang stifled a yelp of pain, and instead, opened his mouth and snapped his jaws onto Barkpelt's front leg.

The large brown tom growled as he jerked back, licking at the blood that had been drawn from the bite.

The attacker at the other end of him placed a paw on his belly, and released his hind legs.

Now I can't run! That fox-heart clawed my legs...

"Do it, Gwen!" Barkpelt demanded.

The tortoiseshell above him pried his jaws open. Shardfang let out a grunt of protest as Gwen shoved the poison covered cobwebs into his mouth.