Chapter 11

"My den is out here. Gwen, you will sleep in the back, and I will sleep in my nest at the front." Panicscar ordered the she-cat, Gwen. Gwen gave a small dip of her head and curled up in her nest.

The warriors of StarClan glittered, and Panicscar could barely see them through the branches of the honeysuckle branches.

The medicine cat let out a sigh before settling down in her nest. Rest well, everyone. She meowed in her mind.

************

Wind buffeted Panicscar's fur, chilling through her pelt. She opened her lime eyes to see bright starlight dancing around her. Rivers rushed past her, the music of its trickling echoing in her ears as she padded forward.

The sharp smell of green, growing plants filled her nose. Lush undergrowth much like the jungle blossomed here, and a cold, stony scent began to tingle her nose.

Panicscar glanced around, and spotted a silvery tom stalking something. His dull blue eyes shined with joy as he snapped his jaws around a parrot's neck. Gold liquid flowed from the wound, spilling onto the tom's paws.

The StarClan cat began to pick his way around the feathers, and carried it up to where Panicscar was.

The medicine cat watched in awe as the tom dipped his head to her.

"Do I know you?" She meowed, trying her best to be polite.

The silver tom gave a small smile before devouring the bird in quick small bites. Panicscar stared at him when the bird seemed to disappear as he finished. Soon, the feathers were the only remains, and the tom looked back up at her.

The StarClan warrior gave her a calm stare as he licked the golden blood from his lips.

"I am Grayheart." He meowed, and the tom sat down on his haunches.

Panicscar sat down as well, and began to groom herself.

As Grayheart began to speak, she pulled a paw over her whiskers.

"I was once a MistClan warrior." He began. "I am Whirlfur's brother, who is the current deputy."

Panicscar's green eyes glowed with curiosity as the tom continued.

"Anyways, I've had mysterious omens about a newcomer." Grayheart's blue eyes sharpened with seriousness. The stars that glowed among his pelt seemed to dim, his silver fur turned to a dull gray.

"Under the leader of StarClan's will, I must not name this cat. But I can tell you this." He paused. His eyes grew thoughtful for a moment, and Panicscar shook with impatience. Get on with it!

"The cat that will bring trouble and spill blood, is related to my death." Grayheart's eyes grew somber.

"The witness of a murder will deal the last blow." Panicscar's eyes widened with surprise at the prophecy.

But I'm not MistClan's medicine cat!

"By a small loophole though, I am allowed to give you hints," he continued as he stood. "The cat who killed me is of the rogue bloodline that once strived to take over MistClan..."

The large tom bounded away, his tail flicking with worry.

Panicscar yowled after the tom, hoping for a better explanation.

The wind that had blew gently before was now roaring in her ears, plastering her thick gray pelt to her sides.

Panicscar's knees buckled, and she fell to the ground.