Chapter Twenty-Two

Sun

After a week I was allowed to go home. I was the last out of the others to be discharged.

"Miss Choi, remember to take your medicine after breakfast and dinner every day to help with your nausea," the nurse smiles.

I thank her before she leaves.

"Nausea?" Junhui tilts his head. "Are you still sick?"

I shake my head, "I vomit every now and then but I'm getting better now."

He looked down at me worried.

I take his hand, "let's go."

-

Junhui tucked me into his bed tightly, "I'm so glad you're okay," he says softly.

"I'm glad you're okay too," I replied tiredly.

"By the way, it's a long story but Wonwoo's been staying here since we got rescued. I'll tell you when you've slept properly alright?" Junhui caresses my hair.

I nod then shut my eyes.

He continued to sit on the bed for what seemed like hours. When he thought I had fallen asleep he gets up and walks away. He exhales deeply as I hear him flop onto the couch.

A couple of minutes later I hear a soft knock at the door. It then creaks open.

"Junhui?" It was lady Jing. Her light footsteps make their way to him.

"What?" He said quietly, a tinge of annoyance.

Lady Jing sighs, "stop being mad Junhui. Surely you understand why."

"I understand fully."

Why was this boy being so snobby?

"I didn't like your father's reasoning either but-"

"But you sided with him anyway."

"Junhui-"

"I care about her."

"We know you do."

"But you don't."

"Junhui," lady Jing was trying hard to defend herself. But why? And why were they talking about me?

"'She's a valuable and talented girl but she is one person. She's replaceable.' Those were father's own words." Junhui said, clearly upset. "'We can't show weakness now and exchange money for one employee. They'll think it will be okay to keep attacking our people and get money in exchange for their lives. And even if we did value Sun a lot more than other, is that fair? If we bought her off the enemy and the same thing happened to someone else but we take no action what does that say about us?' Hearing him say those words made me realise that you don't care about anyone but yourselves. You're still greedy mafia's deep inside." Junhui's voice raised a little.

"You're just saying that because you're angry. You don't mean it," lady Jing said sternly. "We can't show favouritism, Junhui. Not when they're not a part of this family," she sounded disappointed. "Your father and I thought we were raising a son who would at least try to be considerate of his own parents. That's all we ever really wanted of you." Lady Jing leaves the room.

Junhui's parents have been nothing but kind to me. It did not make me angry or sad that they would have let me die in that house. I owed them a lot after all. I understood their perspective too, Junhui could not see it because he really does care for me. I caught myself smiling at the thought. But it quickly fades as I realise something did not add up. Who shot the glass wall then? If it wasn't the clan coming to rescue us...