TWELVE !

UN POCO LOCO !

We dropped the egg stuffed inside of one of my sacred childhood toys- dan the duck. when mrs howe yanked the stitches open, and pulled out a fresh, whole egg, the whole class roared like we'd just scored a touchdown.

"yay! it worked!" i cheered, hugging johnny tightly around the neck.

"i knew it would, but only with an amazing girl like you as a partner," he smiled a toothy grin. i blushed, and dared the riskiest move there was. i directed my face towards his, and our faces became closer and closer by the second. and somehow, i ended up kissing joh-

"gwen. gwen, wake up. we fell asleep making the science egg thing," i groaned and sat up to johnny orlando's green orbs staring into my chocolate ones.

so it was a dream. huh.

i mentally beat myself up for being the slightest bit disappointed. "did we even get the project done?" i squinted at the night sky.

"yeah, i just need to have my mom sew it back up. she'll be home tomorrow after school and i can ask her then."

i yawned, "there's no way i'm walking home now. it's dark, i'm too tired. cold." deep down, a tiny part of me wanted john to offer to walk me home.

"you know, i feel like a pussy saying this, but i'm like intensely afraid of the dark. so like, if i walked you home, i'd have to walk back alone, and like-"

"it's fine, john. i'll find a ride," i picked up my phone, eyes widening at the time. "how did we sleep for four hours! it's midnight!" i turned the phone towards johnny, as if he didn't already know the time.

he blushed a bit, "correction. you slept for four hours i slept for one."

it was my turn to blush, only my cheeks became ten times darker than his. did he watch me sleep? was i up here alone? why didn't he wake me up?

"johnathan fucking-"

"johnathan isn't even my name!" he cackled, doubling over and hitting his head on my criss-crossed legs.

"so it's literally just johnny?" i questioned, getting distracted. "you know what- never mind," i shook my head, "how come you didn't wake me up? i probably looked so stupid just sleeping out here alone."

"relax. i was out here the whole time, just working on the egg thing and playing on my phone. no one thought you looked dumb."

"okay, but how come you just let me sleep?" i crossed my arms over my chest, my heart fluttering at the chance that he might've thought i looked cute.

no. gwen, stop.

"you looked... peaceful," he muttered. did that mean cute? ugly? am i overthinking?

"oh," i could only say, when i got a text. "my mom said she'll pick me up when she's done."

"done where?" he just had to ask.

my heart sunk. i didn't want to talk about it, but i knew he would keep bugging me about it if i didn't, "the bar," i shrugged, acting like i didn't care.

"does she work there?"

"nope."

"so she's drinking? and driving?" he said, sadness in his voice.

"uh, kinda. i guess. but i'll be fine, i'll only be in the car for like two minutes," i fidgeted with the six rubber bracelets on my wrist.

"i don't trust that," i could see his frown, even in the darkness. "i think, maybe you shouldn't go with her. maybe you could stay here until the morning."

"that's really thoughtful of you, johnny. but it'll just be too difficult, i have to go home."

"gwen, seriously, i don't want you to get hurt," he touched my arm softly, sending small amounts of shivers up and down my spine.

it's because i didn't expect him to touch my arm. i don't like him.

at this point, the question i've been holding inside all day and night could no longer be held, "why do you care so much?" i snapped.

"huh?" he moved his hand from my arm, obviously offended or frightened or something like that.

"why do you care so much?" i repeated, "you brought me inside when you saw i was cold earlier. you're so fucking nice to me, even when i'm friends with the popular kids, who talk shit about you left and right. you went out on the roof with me when you didn't want to-"

"to be fair, you called me a pussy for it," he smirked.

"okay, still," i looked down at the blanket i don't remember being there when i fell asleep, "you brought me a blanket while i was sleeping, too. and now, you don't want my mom to bring me home because you think i'm going to get hurt."

for a couple seconds, i stared into his sad, emerald eyes. "i don't deserve you as a friend, john."

roughly thirty more seconds passed, and he spoke up. "you really wanna know why, gwen?"

i nodded quickly, "yeah, i do."

"i really like you," he whispered, looking down at our shoes.

"i've heard," i said, thinking about our bus driver.

"huh?"

"nothing. but, you have a girlfriend. and she's my best friend."

"okay, and you really think she likes me?" he raised an eyebrow, cocking his head to the side. i stayed silent. "that's what i thought. she's using me as a boy toy, obviously."

i shrugged, "she's not the best when it comes to relationships. she's a really good best friend, though," i lied.

"a good best friend tears down your self esteem? calls you out in front of your friends? drops you literally every other week because you said something that could be a minor inconvenience for her?"

i sighed, laying back down on the blanket and pillow he'd brought out for me earlier. "you don't know what it's like. if i do one wrong thing, let's say, expose her. she'd ruin my life in a heartbeat."

"and how is that? everyone at school loves you, and you know that. you're cool, nice, sweet, and vienna's just your basic bitch. she's got nothing on you," he laid beside me, our hands dangerously close.

i was about to let it all out, to let johnny know that i'm sorry and that i think i might be feeling something for him too, when a certain somebody shot into my thoughts like a huge bullet.

keaton.

i sat up from my position like i'd just woken up from a nightmare, my eyes wide, "i have a boyfriend. i have a boyfriend and i think i like you too, johnny."

KARLEIGH SPEAKS !
this chapter is over 1000 words be proud sisters

alSO what the fudge would u do if u were gwen? i would- jk i cant say that bc id be spoiling OOP 😔