Chapter 1: The landing

First men to land on the moon. One of histories biggest events, but now a new event has risen, man's first step on the red planet mars. People making November 24th of 2018 a national event of visiting the planet they all dreamed of going to but never thought possible. Everyone and everywhere the thing being talked and celebrated was the landing on mars , televisions everywhere turned on to watch the big event. However a dark turn had come. A moment of unknown interference with signals ends up coming back only for the shuttle coming to earth nearly blown in the air and crashes down in the forest near a school. Another thing everyone talked about , wondering why the shuttle crashed down. The 3 men who returned only 2 had small injuries but have made it back as safe as they can get. Still a big theory is why the shuttle crashed, one moment it came back down easy the next came crashing down like a nuke.
"Max we need to pick up your little brother from his soccer game. It is gonna end in 5 minutes you go get him at the park."
"Sure mom."
  Putting on his sneakers and sweater, Max walks outside putting his keys in his back pocket. The sky dark, yet you can see the faintest of clouds covering a clear blue sky. The park a block down the street. Looking across the street to the woods. An animal staring at him. Realizing Max was making eye contact the animal running off. Paying attention to his brother running to him with his soccer t-shirt with the number 5 on it. A hug shared then to start walking back home. A group kids with leather jackets, expensive shoes, and watches that could feed a family for weeks.
"Hey look who it is. Hey Max don't you got a dad to find?"
"I gave up years ago. Look we gotta get home I'll see you around."
"Hold up Max, " the tallest kid with the scratchy voice putting his arm out to stop Max from walking toward. "You see Max we misplaced our money for pizza and we are really hungry. So I only see it fair as for you to lend us something for the nice guy you are."
"You see I don't really have anything on me Rick."
  Rick smiles, "your brother had a nice game, luckily he didn't get hurt you know, soccer can be a dangerous sport."
  Max reaches into his pocket and pulls out 5 dollars and hands it to Rick. "It's all I have."
"It'll do Max thanks." Rick and his 2 friends walk away hitting their shoulders against Max.
   The two enter the house Max putting his keys on the counter and walking upstairs his little brother following him. Laying down in bed tired while a little kid pulls on his shirt.
"Kevin what is it?"
"How come they made you give them your money?"
"Your 10, you won't understand."
"I may be 10 but I can still know a lot you know."
"There are good people and bad people in this world Kevin. Sadly those guys are bad, so you have to be good and hope that nothing bad will come to you."
Kevin thinking to himself, "why are they bad?"
"Perhaps the way they were raised but I don't know , but you Kevin had to be a good person even to those that don't seem good."

   Morning comes , a cold breeze welcoming the light into Max's eyes waking up to sound of his mother calling him to eat breakfast. Saturday has come and yet hasn't seemed more unsettling than ever. Walking downstairs to the smell of bacon and pancakes. Max's mother Maria and Kevin on the big table eating, Kevin shoving pancakes into his face without a care in the world.
"Thanks for the food mom."
The three eat while Max stares out the window of the sink. A weird feeling in his stomach.
"So you have any plans of things to do today Max?"
"Not really my friends all went to Ecuador to visit family for thanksgiving. I'll just see them on Tuesday when I have school again."
Max gets up putting his plate in the sink and walking to the bathroom washing his face and brushing his teeth. Looking out the bathroom window as if someone was watching him. Looking outside quickly a figure running away , the shadow almost looking like a dog. Walking downstairs with his sneakers tied and jacket on. Looking at his phone seeing 80 percent battery, 10:53am. Before opening the door to go outside Kevin grabs his arm.
"Where are you going?"
"Just out to the deli I'll bring you some chips if you want."
"Doritos please."
"No worries I got you bro." Smiling Max leaves the house walking outside.
Walking across the streets staring at the pavement looking up ahead seeing the corner deli. Feeling eyes on him looking to the side, the woods dark as ever. Nothing moving in sight except the trees by the breeze. Looking at the trees bumping into someone not paying attention.
"Look it's Max. How are you man?"
"Rick what are you doing out this early?"
"You know looking for things to do, where you headed huh?"
"Just the deli I gotta get my brother something."
"Speaking of which Max, got anything for us we are in need of something from there as well."
Max gripping his hands. "Look Rick today no I gotta get my brother something instead you guys can buy stuff on your own."
"Your brother is a nice kid Max. In your life you got your brother and mother , sadly your father is out of the picture , be really upsetting for another to go missing huh."
  Max forms a fist hitting Rick straight in the jaw. He gets up trying to grab Max but he moves and throws him on he grass and punches the other 2 knocking them on the ground. Realizing what he has done Max runs as fast as he can cutting through the woods instead of straight home, an attempt of losing them. Strange as it is this wasn't gonna be the event of the day, a bond yet to be formed, beings yet to come across each other's path.