Little Italy in Hyrule

• Dedicated to Shelby Rae Wills

Once upon a time there was a magical kingdom with an eternally kidnapped princess and an Italian plumber. The Italian plumber, Mario was his name, and his brother Luigi were constantly trying to save this princess, Princess Peach. Lucky for Luigi, his girlfriend was Princess Daisy who didn't get kidnapped nearly as often as Princess Peach, so he was free to help his brother. One day they received a disturbing message from a little mushroom guy, whose name I can't remember for the life of me. He said that both princesses had been captured by the evil Bowser, and that they needed assistance right away. So Mario and Luigi set off for Bowser's floating ship.

They arrived at the ship in relatively fine condition, despite the many monsters and fireball worms they had to fight to get there. They jumped onto the ship intending to find Bowser, but suddenly the ship was pixelated and sucked through a giant blue warp spot.

The ship landed in a land foreign to both the Italian plumbers, but they assumed that they still needed to find Bowser and save the princesses so they continued on their way through the ship. But a nasty gust of wind blew the two brothers off the ship and they fell through the clouds landing on top of a wolf and an odd short woman.

"What are you doing?" the short woman complained snarkily. Luigi and Mario stood up carefully, and noticed for the first time that the woman was black and purple as if she was made up entirely of shadows. 

"We are a-trying to save our girlfriends, Princesses Peach and Daisy."

"Well, we're trying to save Princess Zelda, so if you don't mind--"

"Who's a-Princess Zelda, and you're the only one here except for this a-wolf."

The wolf morphed into a man, garbed in green and brown, frightening the two plumbers.

"Mamma Mia! Where did you a-come from?"

But the man just stood there silently.

"Your princesses have probably been captured by Ganandorf," claimed the short shadow lady. "Why don't you come with us?"

"Let's a-go!" Mario yelled, running off.

"It's this way!" The short shadow person yelled. Then she shrank into the shadow of the green and brown man as he walked off in the other direction.

Together the band of three and a half people walked towards a giant castle in the distance.

"That's Hyrule Castle," the shadow told the plumbers. "The princesses are probably being held captive there. But we need supplies so we are heading to Kakariko village."

The band of misfits headed into a canyon, and soon arrived at a lovely village, where children played in the streets. A young woman stood, brushing a beautiful golden horse. The horse neighed upon the arrival of the green-garbed man, and the woman turned.

"Link!" she yelled, running towards him to give him a hug. She turned and noticed the Italian plumbers. "Who are these?"

Link shrugged, and she looked back at him.

"Be careful, Link. I'll take care of Epona for you, but be careful." She smiled, and he returned it before heading to a shop. 

"Too bad if you fail, everyone will die," whispered the shadow. Inside the shop a giant brown creature stood, gesturing to the counter.

"Monster!" yelled Mario, and promptly jumped atop the creature's head. The creature grunted and looked at the little man curiously.

"Where's the chests, and the rotating cards?" Luigi asked.

Link ignored them and walked up to the counter where a short little kid sat behind it. When he returned he had arrows and slingshots for the plumbers.

"What do we do with these?" Link ignored their questions and walked away.

They left the canyon village and made their way across a giant field to the magnificent castle they had seen before. When they finally reached it, they watched in terror as Bowser's ship flew over the castle and reached a long rope down, plucking an evil-looking man from the window.

Link pulled out a grappling hook and rocketed himself into the ship. Not to be outdone, the brothers ran under it and climbed the ropes that dropped for them. 

On the ship the three dodged bullets and monsters, using shield, jumping skills and fire-flowers alike. Finally, they reached Bowser's chamber. But when they got there they saw the evil guy and Bowser already dueling with one another, while the three princesses watched in boredom.

Figuring that they could let the evil guys fight it out on their own, the six people, and the shadow woman jumped from the ship. The shadow woman transformed into her normal strange form, at which point Zelda turned her into her true form, as princess of the the Twilight Realm. There was heartfelt goodbye between Zelda, Link and Midna (as they now discovered her name) and the first two left for Hyrule Castle and Kakariko, respectively. Then Midna opened a portal back to Princesses Peach and Daisy's dimension and they all lived happily ever after!