Prologue - To my beloved children

To my beloved children. The world is full of secrets which we aren't able to fully discover and understand. My story begins with the history of our world itself. Legends were told, rumors spread. Stories of how the magic, as we know it today, was led into our daily life. There are folks who stubbornly insist that the magic was always there. A gift from some higher beings to us pretty mortals. Other tales tell from a giant tree high enough to be seen from all over the world. The tree was full of magic and people living near of the tree were able to use what we today know as magic. But as legends are told and spread, malevolence is spread, too. Where is the proof about a higher being? Where is the proof of a tree, which should be seen from all places, since there isn't a tree like this to be found in our world? I don't want to tell you everything I know because there are things which you have to discover by yourself. But let me tell you one thing. I mentioned especially those two legends on purpose because both of them are true.

Ages ago, before the time of records, there was a tree. Given by a higher being or just a part of the world, no one could tell this anymore. The world is changing with every action. Even now. Back then, the world was far different from what it is nowadays. But not the Inhabitants of our world. We learn and change slowly. The tree was the collected magic of our whole world. Magic in higher concentration can give birth to life, you must know. More magic concentrated can give birth to a more complex sort of life. The tree of magic was once the only existence in world which was born due to magic. For a long time there was peace all around. But when there is light, there is also darkness and were peace is, there is war. A rule which we still aren't able to break. The magic tree, once used to treat all inhabitants a better live, was used for wars. For ages the magic was misled for mortals' wars. More and more the tree was corrupted by our ancestors. When you get in contact with magic on your own you will understand what exactly could happen, but without further details let me say that at one point the tree couldn't withstand the corruption anymore and imploded. At this time the tree in its original form was destroyed and nowhere to be found. Times passed and slowly people began to realize that the magic didn't leave our world. Instead it fused with the live energy of our world and at least with all beings on it.

The magic itself wasn't bound to some sort of range like to live near the tree anymore. It was now bound by our homelands. People were born with magic powers. Whenever someone with magic power was born, he was gifted a part of the energy of our world and when he or she died the energy went back to the nature. It is a lossless flow between living beings and the nature. That is a small story of how the world as we know it was created. For the rest that is history. A bigger history than any book of legacy could cover, so I thought it might be better to start with my own tales. Both of you are just young children right now and won't understand everything of what I tell. Sometimes I tell you some stories I experienced as a bedtime story. But my remaining time with you is short so I decided to write down my history for you to read. And who knows. Maybe if my stories catch your interest, you might want to discover the world on your own and make your own experience.

It all began with my birth into our commonly family. I lived and grown older as a normal boy in our peacefully province, far away from capital cities and worries of the outside world. If one thing here never changed then it's our quiet and happy life in our small country. No politics, no money, not even bandits. We were and still are an open minded folk. Since our village Halfar exists, we never had problems with poverty, wars or something similar. Everyone does what needs to be done for our placid life. It is indeed a quiet life with the old forest in northern direction followed by the great river Beliris, the Gadras mountains in the west, and in the south behind the summer hills we sure are isolated from the world. Yet we aren't cut of totally. The forest of Gildia to the east leads to the city Danarén. The only other place to live in the Westwoods.