Chapter One - Of magic affection and consequences

Fainting is a strange feeling to be honest. With every moment your vision gets more and more blurred until you see only darkness. And for every instance that your vision gets more blurred, the voices and sounds around you seem to move away to a far distance. For one moment I heard the voice of the elder Halbard very clear, in a second moment it was like a distant whispering. What awaits you after this is only a thoughtless and dreamless emptiness. It is a strange feeling as frightening as interesting. But every faint is ending sometime and so did my.

Eïril slowly opened his eyes and wondered about where he was. The last thing he could remember was falling down the tree. His head ached and he pressed his hand against it as if it could reduce the pain. He tried to remember what happened after his fall but the only thing he got into his mind was emptiness. It was a strange feeling for him, knowing that something happened and yet not being able to see the images.

"Ah, finally you are awake, hm? You indeed slept a long time.", Halbard said in a resolute but also a relieved way. Eïril was surprised to find himself in a bed inside a house. He tried to sit up but in the same moment his head ached even more. Instead of lying down again he propped his body with his other hand. "Don't overstrain yourself right now, young boy. You fainted for almost two days. Tell me, what is the last thing you can remember?", came as a reply from the elder Halbard.

As Eïril began to realize what his elder said, his expression changed. He was utterly stunned since he didn't know what happened. Even if he fell in a worse kind of way it wouldn't take whole two days, would it?, he thought. "D...did you say two days?", asked Eïril quietly shocked as he looked into the elders face. One could see he was surprised a lot. He now used his hand as a headrest while he pondered. "The last thing I can remember.... hm. I think I fell down a tree? For a brief moment pictures came into his mind. Pictures of what happened afterwards. Kajlems broken arm as well as his multiple fractured leg. Struck by panic he released a scream and threw away the blanket to look for his leg. He was facilitated to see, that his leg was completely healed. Afterwards he looked into the elders face. "What about Kaljems arm? Is he also cured?", he asked with a kind of regret. After all it was his fault alone that Kajlems hand was broken. "You don't have to worry. His arm is already healed and he is working again as if nothing ever happened to him.", Halbard replied in a gentle manner. "But what about afterwards? Do you remember anything about how your leg got healed?" Halbard was more than just curious whether Eïril could remember his use of magic since he wasn't in a responsive state.

"What do you mean by that elder Halbard? Wasn't it you who healed my leg?", Eïril asked staggered. For a while Halbard stroked his beard while pondering how to explain the situation to the young boy in front of him. After all it was Eïrils first usage of magic since ever. But soon he came to conclusion that it wouldn't do anything good to hide it so he decided to tell Eïril the truth. "I didn't heal your wounds. Your leg was broken several times and also twisted. It would have taken hours and a lot of power for me to heal it. Since I'm old it wouldn't have been finished before a week of healing process to fully heal your injury since I can't utilize so much power at once.", Halbard replied to Eïril with a calm explanation. He could see that the youngster in front of him got puzzled by what the elder said. "But if you didn't heal me, who did so? You are one of the best healers in our village?", Eïril was very confused. Unfortunately he wasn't able to remember what has happened to him after his accident. Halbard sighed to himself. "So he really doesn't remember what magic came from his inside, hm? He sure will be able to train it that won't be the problem. But he will also leave our village to explore the world after he learns that he can use magic, too. Well it can't be helped. He will find out sooner or later."