Shooting Stars

For ProDoesWriting's 100 followers contest, just like the title. o3o I suggest you check her out if you haven't. Also, congrats on 100 Pro! Sorry this is short, but I couldn't do any better. :p

  It was a dark, cloudless night, and the moon was hidden behind a tree. There was a certain blue-black haired teen sitting at the edge of a lake, the same one that her auburn haired friend had jumped in earlier. Stars were twinkling in the sky, but there were less than from when she was sitting next to the campfire with the Brit Ashley Mariee next to her.

  The girl, Hayden Lee, had a cigarette rolling around in her fingers. She let out a breath, and smoke trailed out of her mouth, floating out into the night sky. She crushed the butt against the ground, leaning back onto her arms, staring at the shining orbs.

  Hayden had snuck out of her shared tent with the Brit, not wanting to have not awaken her. She had simply not been able to sleep, and was hoping that the cold would cool her her nerves. “Hayden…?” A small, tired voice called to her, and Hayden turned to look at the person who owned the voice.

  It was Ashley, who was rubbing her eyes. She had a blanket draped over her shoulders, almost touching the ground. “Ashley? What are you doing awake?” Hayden asked, surprising herself when she didn’t tell the poofy-haired girl to leave her alone, like she would have with anyone else.

  “I couldn’t sleep.” The Brit waddled over to her and plopped down. “Blanket?” She offered to Hayden. The girl hesitated before nodding, and pulled part of the blanket over her own shoulder. They both turned to look back at the sky, sitting in a comfortable silence for a while.

  “So,” Ashley started, leaving her eyes on the stars. Hayden glanced at her for a moment, then turned back. “why are you awake?”

  “Same as you. I couldn’t sleep.” Hayden gave her simple answer, and Ashley nodded. As they looked at the sky, streaks of light sliced into the night’s darkness. “Look, shooting stars.”

  “Hmm.” Ashley hummed, leaning her head on Hayden’s shoulder, causing the troublemaker to tense up before forcing herself to relax. “What are you gonna wish for?” Ashley asked, and Hayden paused for a moment to think. What would she wish for? Would she have wished for anything? Did she have anything to wish for?

  “I’m not sure.” She whispered, and the Brit nodded, then suddenly yawned, causing Hayden to chuckle. “You tired?” She asked, and Ashley again nodded. “Well, then let’s go back to the tent.” Hayden said as she got up, offering a hand to Ashley. Ashley took it, and once again hefted the blanket over her thin shoulders.

  Right outside their shared tent, Ashley stopped Hayden suddenly. “Sorry.” She mumbled. Hayden stared at the Brit in confusion, wondering what she could possibly be sorry for. “I didn’t mean to interrupt your night.” Ashley seemingly read her mind. Before Hayden could shake herself out of her shocked state, Ashley had slipped into the tent, and laid down. The troublemaker followed her in, and laid down with her back to the poofy-haired girl, falling asleep almost instantly.