Chapter 5

Steve put his cell in his pocket, exhaling as he did. Bucky looked at him, his face emotionless - like he couldn't decide on how to reassure his friend.

"It'll be okay, Steve," he said, finally, standing up and putting his arm around his friend. "I'm with you till the end of the line, pal."

Steve smiled, recognising the words that came from his friend's mouth. "I know. And it's just... you being here is so surreal. And I mean you being here, not The Winter Soldier." He watched as Bucky beamed at him, a smile that he hadn't seen that frequently. "Bucky, I think I'm love with you."

"Steve."

"Oh gosh, you don't feel the same way. Do you. I'm an idiot. I really am..." Steve interrupted, his heart pounding as he started to pace around the room.

Bucky smirked, "Only one of those things are true, and let me tell you, Stevie, we all know you're an idiot."

"Wait... You lo-ve me?" he stammered, after comprehending the words Bucky had just said.

"Since we first met. Couldn't mention it back then, of course. Probably would've been shot for it... Now, though, it's a common norm. A man can love a man without anyone hating on it."

Steve wrapped his arms around Bucky. The world around him brightening as he did. "Buckeroo?"

Bucky raised his eyebrows, "Bucker-what?"

Steve laughed, "Jeez, relax, James, it's a nickname."

Putting his hands up in surrender, the brunet took a step back: almost hitting the wall behind him.

"Well, Buck, I don't think I can spend the rest of my life without you. I wanna stay with you till I'm at least a hundred years old..."

"Aren't you like, what.... ninety-seven?"

"Aren't you like ninety-eight?" Steve mocked him.

"Yes, I get it, we're both older than we look - some of us," Bucky placed a hand on his chest, "Look a lot younger than we actually are..."

Steve coughed in amusement, "Yeah, yeah, we all know that I still look like a twenty year old." Bucky playfully shoved him, earning himself a grin from the blond.

"So me and you..." Bucky began.

"Are gonna fondue?" Steve said, in a slightly more hesitant way than he wanted.

Bucky raised his eyebrows, "What the hell does fondue mean? Please tell me there is a meaning and you weren't just trying to make it rhyme?"

Steve went red. "There's a meaning. Um. Well. Peggy said something about it back, back before I... found you... in the War. When Hydra first... I misunderstood her, thought she and Howard, did it..."

Bucky burst out laughing, unable to keep a straight face. "You thought Peggy Carter and Howard Stark? Oh my gawd, you're adorable."

"Hey!"

"But I love you anyway..."

* * *

"Dad," Peter said, as Tony prepared his newest suit. "Can I come out on patrol with you?"

Tony stared at his son, and anxiously responded with, "Sure thing, kiddo. "

He couldn't say no now. If he did then he'd be a complete hypocrite - and it wasn't like anything would go wrong... nothing bad ever happens in New York.

Apart from Loki and the Chitauri invading...

But that was years ago, and Loki was now dead. Thanos would never affect him again.

"Just make sure to keep your face covered... for two reasons. One we don't want any of my enemies finding out you're the newest hero. Two you're meant to be sick off school."

"Okay."

The two flew out of the building, and by flew out I mean Tony flew and Peter swung. Despite it being his first time, he was webbing around as if he'd been doing it for years.

"You're a natural, kid!"

Peter snarked, "I know I am." In a manner very much similar to Tony's. It made the man laugh, as they continued patrolling the city.

"Da-ad, we should split up."

"Why?"

"Cos we'd get things done quicker, we have got the coms..." Peter remembered.

"Nope. Nu-uh. Not today. Maybe in a few weeks but right now it's a no no."

"Fine," whined the boy, whilst they got back to the patrolling.

Nothing bad happened that evening. In fact neither of the Starks had to step in at all. All crimes they spotted were mediocre, so Friday and Karen would automatically contact the cops.

"It's not on an Avengers pay role," Tony would say, before heading off into the distance: leaving the fourteen year old to catch up with him.

When they finally returned to the Tower, it was gone midnight - meaning Peter had to go directly to bed. "Night, Spiderson," Tony mumbled, as he shut the door.

"Night, Irondad..." Peter whispered as he fell asleep.

* * *

The next day was Friday, and that was the day Steve Rogers and Tony Stark had set up a meeting with a law attorney. The meeting was at 10:30, so Tony of course showed up at 10:45.

Then for the next hour and a half, the two Avengers went though files of paperwork, until they had legally divorced.

The attorney, who appeared to have been either drunk or was just had a spur of the moment idea ended the meeting by saying, "I now pronounce you single and single. You may now walk away..."

Tony at that point untucked his shirt and waltzed out of the room, ready to head home to Peter. However, one thought kept flashing through his mind: where would Steve be staying? Surely he and Bucky wouldn't be staying at The Hub forever.

"Steve, wait up," he called after the tall blond.

"What?" Steve snapped, sharper than he intended to.

"You and Bucky, and yes I know you two are a thing," he added after seeing Steve's expression, "Where are you two staying? After The Hub..."

"Peggy said she has a spare apartment I can borrow... Actually, I think Howard gave it to her first..." Steve answered.

"That, well that's nice. See you at the next briefing, I guess..."

"Right..." Steve muttered, but never got a chance to finish his sentence because Tony had already got into his white Audi and started to drive off.

* * *

Peter greeted Tony at the bottom of the Tower, wearing only his pyjamas - despite the time. "Hiya, Dad. How'd it go?"

"It went okay," Tony said calmly, making sure not to worry the boy anymore than he had to. "How comes you are still in your PJs?"

Peter took a step back, "They were comfy, and plus I only just woke up..."

Tony smirked. "No Iron Man jammies today?"

"Nope," Peter stated, "Auntie Tasha said I should wear a Hulk onesie seeing as it's Doctor Banner's birthday today. She said we need a bit of Hulk and Bruce around the Tower to remind everyone about him."

"He's not dead, kiddo. Just missing."

"I know, I know. It's just a nice thing - like Aunt Tasha said -  to celebrate it for him."

Tony hugged his son, he didn't deserve a kid that was so kind.