Chapter 8

The next day came sooner than Tony expected, and by the time both Starks were up, dressed and had eaten breakfast - pancakes for Peter and coffee for Tony - Steve and Bucky had arrived.

"Hey, Steve," Tony said coolly, trying his best not to stare at the brunet's metal arm.

"Hi..." Steve replied as he followed his ex into the elevator. The man looked like shit. He had probably stayed up all night tinkering away in his lab - his consciousness sustained by a mix of caffeine and alcohol. The soldier was used to Tony looking like that: it was a habit of the genius to do that most nights he couldn't sleep.

Steve eyed his boyfriend, edging him on towards the billionaire, almost physically shoving him."I'm Bucky," he finally announced, a small smile trying to break through from his expressionless face.

"Yeah, I know," muttered Tony, tapping the elevator door shut. "Fri, take us up to the penthouse."

"Of course, Sir."

Bucky's eyes widened in confusion, and amazement, as he heard the Irish woman's voice appear from nowhere. It wasn't exactly frightening to him, though, he had always been a lover for technology. He could remember the last time him and Steve went to an expo together... a Stark expo. One that Tony's father had hosted. They had seen a flying car - that hadn't quite worked - and he was now wondering if Howard had ever perfected it.

"You ever built a flying car?" he asked, turning his head away from the ceiling to look at Tony's.

The Stark raised his eyebrows, taken back slightly by the sudden question. "Uh, yeah... I've worked on a few flying cars. Did one for this guy who really loved his cars, once. Think he named her Lola, or something..."

Bucky nodded, clearly impressed that flying cars were now a thing. The blond that was stood beside him, however, looked a little confused. "Why're you asking, Buck?"

"Just remembered the Stark Expo... damn that would have been neat if Howard had managed to get that car to work."

"Ah, right," Steve said, trying to picture the event the two men had attended. That day was something he wouldn't forget - but not because of the Expo - all of that had happened on the same day he had become Captain America... or at least he had had the serum.

The elevator doors opened and Tony guided the two soldiers into the lounge. "Take a seat," he offered, indicating to the black sofa, "I'll just go get Pete."

The pair sat down and Steve put his arm around Bucky. "I hope you like him," he mumbled aloud by accident.

"Of course I will, Stevie. He's your son, how could I not like him?"

Kissing Steve quickly on the forehead, the brunet quickly pulled his arm away from his boyfriend, and glanced at the door: his hearing picking up on the incoming footsteps. Yet, they were too light to be Tony's, and he doubted that the man had sent Peter in alone.

"Hello, Rogers."

"Nat!" Steve announced, standing up to greet the redhead, a smile across his face. The agent was holding a flask, which the blond guessed was not filled with hot cocoa or coffee, and had sat down on the couch opposite then, after shaking the Captain's hand. "What are you doing here? Well I mean other than the fact your live here," he added.