Chapter 1

I couldn't remember how I ended up in this room. Not that I minded. It felt good to wake up on a bed and not the forest floor. I'll admit running away wasn't the best idea I had ever had, but what was I supposed to do when my dad was kicking me out every other day? My brother, Jacob, had moved out of the house when he turned eighteen and my stepmother was all about the new baby. So that left me to take dad's verbal and mental abuse, and last week I decided I wasn't going to take it anymore.

So this time when dad kicked me out I had my bags packed and sitting by the door. I don't even think he meant it, but I was determined to show him I meant business. I just wished our house wasn't in the country. I guess that's a pretty common sight in rural Indiana. Trees, trees, and more trees. When I first left the house I headed in the opposite direction of the town I had grew up in. Instead I headed south towards Kentucky. I decided I would walk as far as I could at first and then I would camp at night.

This was good until the fourth day when I fell and cut open my leg. I knew I had walked at least ninety miles, and I also knew I was lost and miles from any house. At that moment I would have been happy to see one of those creepy things from The Hills Have Eyes. I brushed myself off and got back up. I knew I didn't have time to waste, I needed medical attention or at least to find a stream so I could wash the cut out.

I walked for about three more miles and found a stream. It was fully dark now so I could barely see anything. I got on my hands and knees and, making sure not to get my shorts and tank top wet, started washing my medium length black hair. I scrubbed my arms and legs taking extra care not to make the gash on my leg bleed again. I was startled when I heard branches rustle behind me and I glanced back but saw nothing. I figured it was just my imagination playing tricks on me so I rung out my hair and stood.

I decided to make camp here for the night so when morning came I could drink before I set off walking again. I rolled out my sleeping bag and used my overfull duffel bag as a pillow. I fell asleep listening to the beautiful sounds of the night. That's the last thing I could remember clearly.

I sat up and took in my surroundings. It was like I was in a historical romance novel. The canopy of the four poster bed was made of heavy velvet. The furniture's woodwork was detailed and the paintings on the walls looked like originals. I stood and looked down at the outfit I was wearing. Somebody had obviously dressed me in this beautiful nightgown. It was a beautiful ruby color and I wondered how it looked with my light brown eyes. There were no mirrors in this room so I tried to open the door. It was locked. For the first time since leaving I was scared for my life. Where was I?

*****************************************************************************

The house was quiet and I was bored. After about twenty minutes of sitting around waiting for someone to come in, I decided to explore the room more. I couldn't find anything interesting in the dresser or the armoire. I sighed until I remembered my old hiding place at home. Luckily hiding things under the mattress was a well known way to keep secrets, because I found a small leather-bound journal. The initials on the front read S.R.V. This was weird because those were mine as well. Spencer Rose Van Buren was a name I had always disliked. More now than ever though. It was just creepy!

I jumped startled when the door opened. I tucked the journal back where I had found it and turned to see a young girl. She was pretty with blue eyes and blonde hair that was worn in a bun. She was dressed in a long white dress covered with a light blue apron. She wore a kind smile.

"I'm glad to see you're awake. Are you hungry?" the girl held a tray pilled with what smelled biscuits and raspberry jam. She sat them on the dresser top and turned back to me, "Master would like to see you."

"Where am I? And who is Master?" I stood and walked to inspect the food she had brought. My stomach growled slightly.

"You are at Lord Whitestone's estate. Master is Master," She cleared her throat and sighed, "He requested that you have dinner with him tonight."

I glanced out the window. It was almost sundown. I looked around for my stuff but couldn't see it anywhere. I gave the girl a confused look.

"Where are my things?"

"Master had them discarded," She looked down ashamed, "He said they looked trashy."

"So what am I supposed to wear?"

"I have a dress for you to try." She walked to the wardrobe and pulled out a huge green dress. It was dinner not prom! She held it up to me, "Is it to your liking?"

"Well it is pretty but I can't eat in that I will ruin it!"

"Claire said this is the one that would fit you. She is working on more, but this is the only one finished. Please try it on?"

"Fine. But only because you asked so nicely," I took the dress and went behind the screen that I assumed was for dressing. There was a wash pan and a sponge so I figured I had guessed correctly. I slipped out of the nightgown and into the huge ball gown. I put my arms through the off the shoulder sleeves, "Could you zip me up please?"

The girl zipped it up and smiled.

"It looks great on you."

"Thanks," I needed to know who I was thanking so I asked, "What is your name?"

"Mona."

"I'm Spencer."

"Oh Master won't allow me to call you by your street name."

"Well you can tell him I won't answer to anything but Spencer. Unless it's him and then it's Ms. Van Buren."

"I'll try Ms. Van Buren."

*******************************************************************************

I followed Mona down to the dining room. I was sat at a huge table that seated thirty people. Mona left before I could ask her what I was supposed to do. So I just sat and waited for the 'master' to arrive. My stomach growled and I sighed.

"You're famished."

I was startled when the guy walked along the table and sat across from me. Yeah we were eating dinner together but we were fourteen chairs apart. Yeah.

"Well George was right. You are very easy on the eyes."

"Oh you must be the almighty powerful Master." I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

"Yes I have been called that."

"Are you kidding me? You are seriously that full of yourself?"

"You might want to watch your mouth. I am the one who will be feeding you."

"Really? I can leave anytime I want."

"Not if I have you locked in your room."

"Try it." I stood preparing to run out of the room. I took off after he stood up but before I could open the door he was there blocking my way.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So that's my first chapter. Please tell me what you think and If I should continue. If you like it please vote and fan;)