Chapter 6

I pushed the covers off and opened the velvet covering the bed. The face in the window was gone but I still got up and ran from the room. I ran to find Nathaniel or Mona, but the halls were empty. I didn't know if I should venture around, but Nathaniel did say I could. At least I think that's what he meant.

So instead of screaming for help I ran into an unknown hallway. There was an open door about six or seven down. I ran towards the dim light, not thinking of the consequences until I stood face to face with George. I stepped back slowly.

"Hello Spencer," He followed me step for step, "What brings you here?"

"I'm looking for Nathaniel, but since he isn't here I'll just go," I really hoped my words didn't give any indication of my inner feelings of fright.

"I think you should stay," He reached for my arm, "You don't look well."

"Don't touch me," I struggled to get out of his iron like grip, but in the end he had gotten frustrated and shoved me backwards. My head hit hard and the last thing I noticed were the drips of blood running down my face.

**********

I woke up the next morning in the bedroom I had been staying in for the past few days. My head ached and there was a bruise where George had grabbed me. I sat up and looked around. How did I get up here?

I grabbed a pair of jeans and a blue tank top from my bag and got dressed. I needed to find Nathaniel and talk to him.

"Going out Ms. Van Buren?"

"I'm just going to see Nathaniel," I smiled at Mona and combed my fingers through my hair.

"What happened last night? George said you freaked out and attacked him," Mona sat a plate of warm bisquits and jelly on the table, "Why did you go down to his room?"

"I was looking for Nathaniel," I threw my hands up in frustration, "Everything is so weird here. More and more keeps happening. It's like I'm dreaming."

"If you ever need my help or want to talk whatever you say will be kept a secret."

"Thanks Mona," I smiled and took a big bite of a grape jelly filled bisquit. Mona started picking up the room while I finished my breakfast. I needed to see Nathaniel, " I'll be back in a few minutes. I'm going to see him."

"Okay."

I headed off down the hall to Nathaniel's study. The door was slightly ajar and I could hear voices so I hesitated. I didn't mean to but I found myself eavesdropping on their conversation.

"That still doesn't explain why you came back Saoirse," I heard Nathaniel slam his fist on his desk, "This isn't some game. Now tell me why you're here."

"I told you I know how to break the curse."

"And how would we accomplish that?" I wasn't surprised to hear George's voice in the mix. I was curious about the curse, but it wouldn't surprise me if they turned into ogres after dark.

"This doesn't concern you George."

"Of course it does. I should be dead and buried by now, instead I'm alive and kicking."

"Tell us Saoirse," Whoever Nathaniel was talking to hesitated.

"True love's kiss? An inner feeling of self worth? We've all read the books and seen the movies Saoirse. Now quit wasting our time," George's sarcastic comment didn't surprise me.

"You little twit!" I heard some movement and then a groan. I hoped she hit him where it would hurt the most. I sensed that their little meeting was over so I ran back in the direction of my room and hoped Mona wouldn't be there when I got back.