11

Thalia (1)

The four of us looked around the different aisles. Aang and Katara were reading different books for fun while Sokka was looking around for anything connected to the Fire Nation.

I, on the other hand, was looking for something Toph would enjoy. I was really limited though, so it was pretty tough. I skimmed through the spines of the books, hoping something would pop out at me.

When I my eyes read the title,

The Tale of Two Warriors

I pull it out of the shelf, intrigued.

My finger traces the shiny, gold letters on the cover. I open the book and flip through the pages. The smell of old paper hitting me.

"What's that?" Sokka asks me from over my shoulder. I turn my body around to face him. "It's a love story."

Sokka sticks out his tongue. "Bleh."

I playfully nudge him. "Hey, I happen to have a small love for reading."

"Really?"

"Mhm." I nod. "When I was younger, at least. I haven't read a good book in years."

"Then take it if you really like it that much." Sokka shrugs. I shake my head quickly, "I can't steal from a spiritual library." I slide the book back in the shelf then dust off my hands. "Maybe it'll come back to me."

I walk off and continue to look around. I raise my brows when I pass a parchment, the light shining so coincidentally on it. Its sides were burned and crispy.

"Sokka," I wave him over. "Check this out."

He walks over and I point down to the parchment. Sokka leans down and begins to read the paper. "The darkest day in Fire Nation history." He puts his hand on his chin. "It's got a date on the top, but it doesn't say anything else."

"What do you think it means?" I ask him. Sokka sneakily looks around before pulling out his machete and lifting the glass from the stand. He takes out the parchment then rolls it into his hand.

I widen my eyes, "Sokka, what are you doing?!" I whisper-yell at him. He only shrugs. "I'm borrowing it."

He scurries off and I follow him.

"Where are you going?" Aang asks us. Sokka turns around and shows them the rolled parchment in his hands. "I want to know what happened to Fire Nation on their darkest day. This could be promising."

We all continue to follow Sokka down the long halls of the library.

"The information on the Fire Nation should be right up here." Sokka says as he walks into the Fire Nation wing. Inside, everything is burned down to a crisp.

"Firebenders." Aang breathes out.

"They destroyed everything having to do with the Fire Nation." Katara said.

"That's so unfair!" Sokka exclaims. "Just when I think I'm one step ahead of the Fire Nation, it turns out they beat us here a long time ago!" He falls down to his knees, his head hung low. "I need to know what happened on the darkest day."

From behind, we hear whining. We all turn and a fox was standing on its hind legs.

"Hello... little weird fox guy." Sokka smiles uneasily. The fox goes back down onto its four legs then points its body outside.

"It seems it's trying to assist you." Professor Zei points out.

"Uhm, sure. I guess I'll follow you."

As the fox runs out of the wing, we do the same. We follow it down the halls once again.

It leads us to a room with a large looking flower on the wall. The fox crawls down into a hole and in seconds, the middle of the flower opens. Behind it sat the fox with it's tail wagging.

We all walk into the dark room. The only light that shined in was from the outside. When the fox pulls down a lever, the walls around us with a sun and moon moved and stars shined down.

"This room is a true marvel. A mechanical wonder! It's a planetarium that shows the heavens moving." The Professor explains.

It stops, a blue sky surrounded us as it was bright it in the room.

"Uh, this is beautiful, but how is it helpful?" Sokka asks.

"Maybe these dials represent dates and times." Katara suggests. "Sokka, try entering that date from the parchment you took."

"Sh, Katara!" Sokka grits. "Not in front of the fox! He's with the owl!" He then takes a peek at the parchment for the date before moving the dials around. After the date is entered, Sokka pushes the lever down. We watch the blue sky turn back into a starry night.

"Wow, I gotta hand it to you Sokka." Aang grins. "You picked the best mini-vacation, for sure."

Everything stops, the room dim. Though, the planetarium was supposed to be 'sunny.'

"Hey, wait - what happened to the sun?" Katara asks. Aang squints his eyes, "Great, you must've broken it."

"It's not broken." Sokka says. "The sun is behind the moon. It's a Solar Eclipse! It's literally the darkest day in Fire Nation history." Sokka grabs me by my shoulders, a wide smile on his face. "Now I get it! Something awful happened on that day - I don't know what - but I do know why!" He begins to shake me excitedly, "Firebenders lose their bending during a Solar Eclipse!"

"Great! Can you stop shaking me now?!"

Sokka let's go of me then sheepishly smiles. "Sorry."

"That makes sense." Katara steps forward to us. "I mean, think of what the Lunar Eclipse at the North Pole did to the waterbenders! This is huge."

The fox interrupts by whining again. He goes onto his hind legs, this time begging for a treat for his hard work.

"Fine." Sokka chuckles. "You earned it." He takes out some jerky then throws it to the fox. It catches it in its mouth then runs off.

"We've gotta get this information to the Earth King at Ba Sing Se. We'll wait for the next Eclipse then we'll invade the Fire Nation when they're totally helpless. The Fire Lord is going down!" The Water Tribe boy grins.

"Mortals are so predictable." We all turn and widen our eyes at the large owl that shadowed over us. "And such terrible liars."