Chapter 3

The fact that she came face to face with Troy for the first time after so many years apart almost made it impossible to sleep. So, she didn't bother trying. Gabriella got out of bed at the crack of dawn and got ready for work. She wore her fitted gray cigarette pants, blue blouse, and matching ballet flats. Professional, but comfortable enough for the long day filled with appointments. Once her hair and makeup were done she rode her bike the short distance to the coffee shop right across the street from the office.

The barista handed her two coffees and made a joke about her morning read: The American Journal of Medicine. It's no Cosmo, but the articles would help keep her distracted for a little while as she waited for Thomas.

"Morning Angel!" Thomas greets her and leaned down to place a kiss on her temple.

"Morning," Gabriella greeted as she closed her journal and looked up at Thomas who was currently scrolling through his blackberry.

"Are you nervous about your first day?" he asked reaching for his coffee and taking a sip.

"I didn't sleep well," she admitted looking down at the ring on her finger. It was a French-Set Halo Diamond band engagement ring in 14kt White Gold for with a large cushion of center stone that held up and even bigger diamond.

It was ridiculous.

"Did your mom drive you crazy?" he said glancing up for a moment then back down at the device.

Troy drove her crazy. She blinked. A slow, sloth-like blink, as she simultaneously filled her lungs with just enough air to keep her heart from jumping out her chest. Going over there had been stupid. Reckless. And yet...she wanted to go back. It was like he had this control over her and she couldn't figure out how to break it.

She felt stupid. Stupid for feeling hurt that he hadn't remembered her. Especially when she had been the one to claim not to remember him first. Difference was, she was sure he probably meant what he said. She shouldn't be thinking about this at all. Not now. Not while sitting across the table from her fiancé. She released a sigh, "No. Just...overwhelmed...I guess."

Thomas placed his phone down and reached for her resting hand, "Hey," he said with a small smile. "You're going to do great today."

"I know." she smiled as she gave his hand a gentle squeeze. With her other hand, she reach for her coffee. "Tomorrow we have that dinner with the wedding planner."

He winced. "Shit."

Gabriella lifted a finger. "No," she said pointedly. "You said I wouldn't have to do all the wedding stuff alone."

Thomas's features softened. "Baby, you're not alone. Kelsi is your best friend, and your maid of honor. Take her with you, chances are it's going to be you two making all the decisions anyway." He added the last part with a smile. "I know you."

"I'm starting a new job today. I cannot be the only person planning this wedding." The room began to spin slightly, and Gabriella took a sip of her coffee.

"I'm starting today too," he argued. "And you're not the only one planning the wedding. I will help. Ans so will your mom, Kelsi, Taylor, and Sharpay. That's what bridesmaid do. They help the bride."

"It's fine," she said finally. Stomping down on her emotions. Now was not the time for an argument.

His brows furrowed and he tilted his head to the side. "Gabi, I support everything you do. I thought you supported me, too. This is my future. This is for us, baby. For our future."

She whipped her eyes up.

Us.

Our.

Future.