Chapter 9

Troy had thought a city of 19,000 people was small, but the culture shock of being back home had reminded him of just how small his home town of 4,000 really was. It was like Mayberry married the NRA and they had a baby. He'd laughed out loud when he walked into the liquor store and saw that you could buy a gun with your beer.

Pretty much the only good thing about being back home was people were less likely to bombard him like he was some carnival show. Sure, people stared, he heard the whispers and was sure he saw a couple of men pull their women just a little closer with a possessive glare. But none of it really bothered him. He'd dealt with the worst.

Troy walked into Eddie's Shot bar and was pleased to see only a few people inside. His phone chirped and he looked at the screen. It was Chad, asking again about Troy's timeline. His week was almost up, things with Gabriella had gone radio silent. He'd heard about the breakup. It had spread through town faster than the chicken pocks had when they were all in the second grade. Hell, just this morning while he was out getting a coffee he'd been front row to the barista going on and on about Albuquerque's newest bachelor.

In another world, this news would have made him happy, would have had him over the moon with a selfish intention about the certain leggy brunette. But her silence and distance spoke volumes. And it wasn't as if he didn't understand, he did. A nine-year relationship didn't just end overnight. He hadn't expected her to come knocking on his door or sending him any messages so soon. But he hadn't expected her to avoid him.

And she was avoiding him. He knew enough about women to figure that out after watching her leave the house two hours before she normally did and return home late in the evening. From the looks of things, she had ended it with Thomas. Not that he was stalking her but he'd noticed the ring missing from her finger when she was out grabbing the mail yesterday morning.

It'd taken everything in him not to go out there and talk to her. He let out a sigh and put his phone down on the bar. His time was almost up, he'd been asked to stay away from the house while the realtor showed it off. Another knot formed in his stomach at the thought of strangers walking around his home.

"Well look what the cat dragged in. Troy, you look like hell."

Troy shook Sam's hand. He had always liked the Henderson family, from Eddie to Leslie to their boys, Sam and Tucker. They had a daughter, but she'd taken off after she graduated high school and he'd never met her. Probably for the best.

"Sam, give me a shot Jack. Leave the bottle, though," Troy said.

"Things not going well?" Sam asked, pouring the whiskey into a shot glass.

Troy nodded, "Could say that."

"You manage to sell the house yet?"

Troy shook his head and took the shot, "They just started showing the house, probably won't be long now before it's gone."

Sam shook his head refilling the empty glass, "Shame, guess it's for the best though. Where ya heading off to after?"

Troy shrugged, "Haven't figured that out yet."

"I'm sure your sister won't mind letting you stick around on her couch," Sam laughed a little. "Ma tells me your working at The Music Box now?"

"Yeah," Troy said, drowning the next one. "She's got it pretty good here."

"She a good girl, a little high strung, but good."

Troy laughed at that.

"Ever thought of performing at the bar? Won't pay nothing your use to, but we'd love to have you come in and do a set if you like."