CHAPTER 2

Taking up Karene's murder case had taken all of my will power. And, I, Ada Aberol, fond of unravelling mysteries, was regretting it. I sat thinking as I scrolled through my computer screen.

With one look anyone could tell it was a case of natural death, but only an experienced detective like me could tell that something was wrong by looking at the clues. My father often told me that I was the best detective he ever knew. My father, my parents. I missed them.

"What happened, Ada, dear? What are you thinking so gravely?" I hadn't noticed Aunt Tiara sitting on the couch beside my tableb

"Sad about the death of that boy?

I was normally, not the fidgeting-with-my-hands person. But today I found myself doing this.

"Uh..no. Not actually." I mumble under my breathe.

"So, what is bothering you" she asks, her voice full of concern.

Aunt Tiara had been like a second mother to me after the death of my parents. She had proved that even without blood relation someone can love so dearly. She had always been a mentor and a guardian to me. She was my mom's best Friend throughout her college and after.

"Uhm..just Karane's death reminded me of....." I say mustering up courage.

"Your parents' death, right!" She says.

I nod.

"The only case, Ada Aberol has not tried to sol-"

"Stop it!" I cry. " Can we please talk about something else? Please? I say out loud.

Aunt Tiara shrugs and continues her daily routine of reading papers.

I respected Aunt Tiara. But I could not control myself when someone brought up the topic of my parents' death case. In some ways, Karane's case was similar to that of my parents'.

Police had told, it was a case of natural death, but even my close relatives understood it was a murder case. They had insisted me for days to take it up. But every time I tried to look up the clues, I failed to. Not because the case was dense but it was my parents' murder.

Love and memories always took over my professional attitude.

My door bell rings. I get up and open the door to see the man from the diagnostics.

He shows me the reports, and continues telling about something. But I am deaf to him. The reports say that Karane had died of lung failure.