Homework, the bane of most teenagers, especially at the point of our lives when time becomes more important and procrastinating becomes more of a habit. Seriously, teachers there comes a point you're allowed to rebel against the curriculum in order to preserve our mental health, Tammy thought as she opened up PowerPoint on the family computer. The longer projects were the worst (actually just quit it with those please). Tammy plugged in the battered headphones, which scratched on her ears, and opened the file labelled 'decent music' on the computer and grinned as her favourite song started playing. Her grin faded as she opened the Word tab to check her task, then a PowerPoint presentation for the information.
"You okay there, hun?" Tammy's mother asked as she passed.
"Yeah, mum, just homework."
"Okay then." Her mum walked off towards the kitchen (the most popular room in the house) and returned a minute later with a plate of custard creams (the best biscuit and you can fight me on that).
"Thanks, mum." Tammy smiled at her, took the plate and placed it next to the computer. 
"That's okay, hun. Good luck with your homework." Tammy sighed, her mum laughing and patting her shoulder (we stan a supportive mum). "There's something I've forgotten." Tammy's mother muttered before she walked off, looking lost.
Opening a Google tab (if she'd opened a Internet explorer tab I'd of had to disown her, even of she's my character), Tammy died a little inside same as she did every homework project, she typed in, word for word, one of the questions on the sheet that she really can't be asked to do but looked easiest (mood). "What sort of conditions do cacao bean, coffee bean, cotton and banana farmers and workers have to work in?"

10 minutes later, and Tammy was still sat with her head in hands, trying to find some sort of motivation to read the first website that popped up. Her mum ran past and up the stairs, "I forgot about your brother and sister! They're still in bed!" she checks the calendar on her way up. "At least they haven't got anything today and your Granddad is in the home, so at least I don't have to deal with him." Tammy laughed and nibbled on the corner of a biscuit, then looked back at the computer, sighed and clicked on the website. She couldn't put it off forever. The page was titled "The nasty truth in the production of cotton." and was on the official fair-trade website. It was most likely factually correct, Tammy hoped. She scrolled to the bottom of the website to see the length of the website and sighed (why so much sighing? I'm the writer and I know about these homework projects, sighing is actually a very common side affect, trust me.) when she guessed it was over 3,000 words. How were these homework projects allowed? Reluctantly, Tammy's eyes started scanning the words, taking in the information. The website was not what she had expected, in fact, it was shocking, Tammy had thought it would be about work hours, and while it sort of was, it was also worse. Tales of workers who were injured because of poor health and safety regulations, people who weren't paid enough and couldn't feed their families, forced and child labour, exploitation, poverty, exposure to pesticides and even suicides resulting from these bad conditions (these are actual examples from different websites but shh). It was horrendous to see the way that they were treated. Tammy didn't really know how to feel, so she took a deep breath, inhaling the dusty smell of the old keyboard (that's probably not too healthy lol), opened another tab and typed in fair-trade.

"Mum! Can I go into town for a bit, I'll get some lunch while I'm there?"
"Yeah, sure thing. Be back by 3, please, Tam." 
"Sure mum, thanks"

"That's okay, hun, love ya."
"Love you too, mum." Tammy grabbed her light coloured denim jacket and stuffed her purse and phone into the pockets. Checking the time on her phone, she makes sure that her list is still in the back of her phone. She was ready to make a change.

A/N: what do you think? It's not finished, obviously, please bear with me. This is a school project so I hope I'm not embarrassing myself with this. This isn't really edited so if there are any mistakes, feel free to point them out.