[6] The Pain of Prey

"Are you going to the party tonight?" I asked Bailee over the phone.

"What party?" she asked and then I heard her ask again, not into the receiver but to someone in the background. "Ohhhh," I heard her say. "No, I don't really go to cheerleader parties anymore."

"What's a cheerleader party?"

"Well some girl on the cheerleading squad will throw a party for the cheerleaders and varsity football players on a Wednesday because tomorrow is resting day for the team, Friday is the game night, and Saturday usually one of the football players throws a party. First game of the season."

"Oh."

"Did Stella invite you or something?"

"Ryder, actually," I answered and then heard her chatting in the background to someone and it was quiet for a while. "Bailee?"

"I didn't know Ryder got back on the football team," was all she said. I paused.

"No he—" I was interrupted when Ryder's name flashed on my screen. "Hold on, Bailee. I have another call." I switched calls. "Hello?"

"Hey," Ryder greeted. "Are you still not coming to the party?"

"No, I don't think so," I declined.

"Okay, just making sure," he said. "Did Cassandra get mad that it was on a school night? Or...?"

"No, I'm just not up for it tonight," I told him. The fact that it was on a Wednesday did have an effect on my decision though. But I was already feeling the athletic struggle of sore muscles in my legs and sides so I just figured I'd stay in.

"Oh," Ryder said and then I heard noises in the back. I was just going to assume he was already at the party. I wanted to ask him if he joined the team, or if maybe he was included in the party's invitation list because he was such a good player years ago. Maybe Stella invited him. Who knows? "Well I just wanted to check up with you and still call when I could because my phone is either going to die or get lost." Thanks? "Have a good night, babe."

"I wish I could say the same to you, but don't have too much fun," I joked.

"Without you? Not possible," he replied. Then someone had taken his phone from him.

"Sorry, Ash, but we need Ryder to own this beer pong table. Bye," Colin's voice rushed and then the call hung up.

"Bailee?" I asked after I switched the call back.

"Hi. Who was it?"

"Ryder," I answered. "He was calling me to make sure I didn't want to go to the party."

"He went without you?" Yes, I told her. "You're not worried or anything?"

"Why would I be?" I questioned, even though I had about ten reasons pop up in my head. Bailee changed the subject like she usually did when she had overstepped her gossiping boundaries. When I got off the phone with her, I went downstairs and to my surprise, Andrew was putting on a hoodie and exiting the hall from his room. He slowed down when he saw me.

"Where are you going?" I asked. "The football party?" I knew Andrew had never actually been good enough at football to continue to play the sport past age ten, but I didn't know where else he had to go tonight.

"No, unlike your boyfriend, I have more important things to handle," Andrew said and then I saw a glimmer of light when he had adjusted the hoodie. I jumped between him and the door.