Chapter 2

Distortion

Glancing down, he sees that the small kid was holding a strange black pin in his hand. When he read the foreign letters he let out the most dramatic of gasps. “What in the world are you doing with that? That pin is one of the months! It's— That's the Black March!”

“Hum,” he looks down sheepishly and stares at the small object that could be mistaken as a stick. “I got it from someone. I should really return it soon though.”

“Return? Someone gave that to you? A Regular kid like you shouldn't be holding something as exclusive as the Black March. That's a royal weapon!”

The boy named Bam stares up at him. “You're really smart! I'm happy we're friends because I could learn so much from you! I can't wait to introduce you to Rachel.”

—+—

He stood in front of the blond with a warm smile. “You seem to be in a good mood, Khun. Something new?” He nods, sitting on the side of the bed

“Just some little rebels hanging around school claiming that they don't want to fight but then one ends up fighting to get to the next section of the city. Anyway, I bought some snacks,” he says gently placing the bag next to her. “You should eat more, you seem very...weak.”

Rachel gives him a small smile. “I will, thank you. What would I do without someone like you?”

“Well first, you wouldn't be able to finish your assignments on time. Second, you'd starve. Third–”

She giggles and takes a bite of the sandwich. “I know, I know.”

Their talk didn't last long until Khun decided it was time to go. The book bag that sagged on the floor was lifted up by his arms and carried out the door. Ran jumped down from somewhere and walked beside him towards the school, looking at Khun who watched his lighthouse which watched Rachel watching the sparrow prey on a butterfly.

“Speedy dude (Edin Dann) is getting everyone else. But it's not like he'll be late unless it was on purpose,” explains the shorter lookalike.

“I didn't say anything.”

“I know how you think, Khun.”

For a moment they were silent until both started laughing like little kids. The two of them had a good relationship. Sometimes they'd argue but quickly ends it with a stupid dis along the lines of “No wonder why Rak calls you a turtle, you slow minded nerd,” or “You must have struck yourself with lighting because you've obviously gotten more stupid.”

After the meeting had ended everyone ran home straight away. Except Ran and Novick who followed Khun back to his house for dinner. It was only once that he cooked for them but ever since that day they wouldn't stop coming for more. As they walked down and out the alleyway, a small child cries out to his dad. Something about a toy? He didn't really care.

The two behind him had noticed Khun had stop walking and was instead focusing on a pair of strangers. A son and a father. They didn't ask him why but to keep him from looking like a creep that was about to kidnap that man's kid, Ran nudged Khun lightly. “Hey, moron,” he whispered. “I think we should get going before the sun goes down.”

The latter rubbed the back of his head. For some reason he felt the sun was already down and the moon was just beyond the horizon. Maybe closer. “You just want your food, Ran. Be glad that I'm even taking the time to pay attention to you.” He didn't respond because he was absolutely right. During the time, Novick had became impatient and pushed them along. “Food. Now.”

In the distance a lone figure stood over the rails whilst towering over the town. Their hair fluidly swims through the air as well as the black cloth that kept them from seeing the beautiful lights that rested below. They could hear everything and yet he yearns to see a vast sky full of stars or maybe just a black ongoing blanket above the world. Would the sky disappear if he looked at it too? He misses the sky desperately and yet he still can't remember what it sounded like.

~

[12|31|18]